• MOTHERBOARD = MSI Z170A PC MATE
  • RAM = DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, Noir, 2 x 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 14
  • GPU = KFA2 GeForce GTX 1060 OC, 6 Go
  • SSD = Samsung Série 750 EVO, 250 Go
  • CASE = Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 Red LED
  • POWER SUPPLY = Cooler Master B600 v2, 600W

I already bought the following components during promotions :

I would like to switch my GPU and CPU.
If I do that should I also get a new Power Supply and Motherboard?

If so could you help me pick the following new components to update my config:
- CPU / GPU / Power Supply (only if necessary) / Motherboard (only if necessary)

I have a budget around 1000€.
I currently own a 144hz Full HD screen, but I think to upgrade soon for a 1440p.
I would like my new PC built for the 24th November in order to be able to enjoy the launch of shadowlands.

Main games/activities:
  • CoD Warzone / Cold War
  • Overwatch
  • Hearthstone
  • World of warcraft
  • VR (via Occulus link > Occulus Quest)

Thanks a million guys !
Kind regards.

Solution
I would not go as far as upgrading the motherboard in that system, most of the speed boost you will see for higher resolution or quality settings would be from the video card. I would wait a bit till the new AMD video cards are out or the 3xxx nVidia cards are move available. Once you upgrade the video card you can compare the benchmarks to see how much of a difference it made and how well the games run at 1440 resolution before you look at upgrading the CPU.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I don't know about the board taking the ram to DDR4-3600MHz but you should be able to go to DDR4-3200MHz. How are you cooling the CPU? If you want to upgrade the processor, you can go to a max of the 7th gen from Intel but no higher, before you need to upgrade the motherboard to one that the processor supports.

You should also swap out the PSU to a Seasonic unit. Where are you located?

Nov 16, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I don't know about the board taking the ram to DDR4-3600MHz but you should be able to go to DDR4-3200MHz. How are you cooling the CPU? If you want to upgrade the processor, you can go to a max of the 7th gen from Intel but no higher, before you need to upgrade the motherboard to one that the processor supports.

You should also swap out the PSU to a Seasonic unit. Where are you located?

Hello Lutfij, thanks for your prompt answer.

I live in Luxembourg (next to the belgian border).

I only have a single ventirad in my configuration at the moment I use a Be Quiet ! Pure Rock.
I can update the motherboard in that case, would this motherboard : MSIB450 Tomahawk Max fit well with the upgrade I'm trying to build ?
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07VB2BG3X...olid=18N9VTFY8EFND&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Which Seasonic unit PSU should I get in your opinion ?

I would not go as far as upgrading the motherboard in that system, most of the speed boost you will see for higher resolution or quality settings would be from the video card. I would wait a bit till the new AMD video cards are out or the 3xxx nVidia cards are move available. Once you upgrade the video card you can compare the benchmarks to see how much of a difference it made and how well the games run at 1440 resolution before you look at upgrading the CPU.

Solution