Help a noob upgrade pc to remove bottleneck (Budget):

linker500

Commendable
Nov 11, 2017
CPU: "AMD Athlon X4 860" Quad Core Processor 3.70 Ghz
Ram: "GSkill Ripjaws X" 4.00 GB stick DDR3 (x1)
Gfx: NVidia GTX 760
Mth: FC Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128763 I think this is same model. My phsical model has fm2+/fm2 compatibility though)

I got a modest gaming pc as a gift 3-ish years ago. It was fine.
But a while back, I got a GTX 760 for cheap on Ebay. (Seems legit as far as I can tell), and so I swapped my card out.
It was fine for a year, but I only now realized that my current system is more likely than not, bottlenecking the card.
(I didn't observe too much of a performance upgrade when I put it in, compared to my older card which was an Sapphire R7 250x, so could my old system been bottlenecked too?)

So, how should I upgrade my CPU (and motherboard to if need be). I have no brand preferences, and will go either red or blue.
Any part suggestions?
Also, if I upgrade my motherboard, should I get a DDR4 ram compatible one? Is DDR4 worth the upgrade?
(I am planning on getting much more ram too, but am unsure whether to stick with ddr3 or to upgrade)

My optimistic budget is $200 for a motherboard and cpu, but I am prepared for a little more if necessary.
I don't plan on buying new ram yet, as 4gbs is only mildy restricting, but it is of least concern for me as I'd get the card working well first.

This would be my first time buying my own parts... and I have no idea where to start, or how much cpu I need to remove the bottleneck on the card.

(If you need any more information, just ask)

Thanks.

bob0011

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
To check to see if its being bottle necked Run Heaven benchmark max settings with MSI afterburner or GPU-Z from tech powerup and task manager open if the CPU. If the CPU is running at 100% the whole time and the GPU is not then you have found your bottle neck and vise versa. You can also test this in games you play.

I do think with modern titles ram will be an issue, though this will also be shown on task manger when testing. Also 4gb DDR3 sticks are not to expensive.

With this information you will be more able to judge your current situation and what need upgrading.

linker500

Commendable
Nov 11, 2017

I booted up probably my most graphically intense game, subnautica (which I have heard people with i7s and similar cards have run fine on max settings. I loaded up medium (high kept crashing) and got around 30 frames with cpu usage at ~80-100%. I am pretty sure the cpu is needs an upgrade now... thanks.