Help a petless healer

Nathan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
155
0
18,680
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

My best healer ever just lost his last pet on the top level of
Sokoban. Yes, I know what I did wrong. What do I do now?

I have no tripe rations, haven't seen anything like
taming/charm monster. I'm XL 6, still wielding my scalpel.
The level is the amulet of reflection version, and I really
want that amulet.

Do I try to take on the zoo alone, or wander the dungeons in
search of some means to get pets?
 

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
97
0
18,630
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Nathan wrote:
> My best healer ever just lost his last pet on the top level of
> Sokoban. Yes, I know what I did wrong. What do I do now?
>
> I have no tripe rations, haven't seen anything like
> taming/charm monster. I'm XL 6, still wielding my scalpel.
> The level is the amulet of reflection version, and I really
> want that amulet.
>
> Do I try to take on the zoo alone, or wander the dungeons in
> search of some means to get pets?

If you have something with which you can engrave the E-word,
you can do it alone. I would risk it (don't trust me anyway,
I die too often).

Manuel.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Nathan wrote:
> My best healer ever just lost his last pet on the top level of
> Sokoban. Yes, I know what I did wrong. What do I do now?
>
> I have no tripe rations, haven't seen anything like
> taming/charm monster. I'm XL 6, still wielding my scalpel.
> The level is the amulet of reflection version, and I really
> want that amulet.
>
> Do I try to take on the zoo alone, or wander the dungeons in
> search of some means to get pets?

You don't need tripe ration to tame dogs/cats. Any non-veggie food
will do. Even a corpse.

Any veggie food can tame horsies.

My guess is you can take the Zoo since there's a convenient choke
point. Just go very slow. You might get lucky and find a domestic
animal inside, even.

-K
 

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
97
0
18,630
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Richard Bos wrote:
> Be careful. Not everything is scared of the E-word. In particular,
most,
> AFAIK all, @s ignore it. You're not likely to meet nurses in Soko at
XL
> 6, but there might be elves, who will merrily continue to bash on you
> while you stand on your E-word. Also, be careful with dwarves with
> daggers and gnomes with wands: IIRC Elbereth only works against
> hand-to-hand attacks.

All of that is true. But most creatures do respect the E-word, i.e.
they
won't attack you hand-to-hand. If you add that to the convenience of
fighting in a corridor and the healing spells to recover from ranged
attacks, then the zoo will probably be very easy.

--
Manuel
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

[Objections to trying to take the zoo with a level 6 healer wielding a
scalpel.]

Manuel wrote:

> All of that is true. But most creatures do respect the E-word,
> i.e. they won't attack you hand-to-hand. If you add that to the
> convenience of fighting in a corridor and the healing spells to
> recover from ranged attacks, then the zoo will probably be
> very easy.

I disagree. Doable, perhaps. Certainly not easy. First of all, there
are likely to be wand-wielding monsters, and the OP doesn't have
reflection yet (this is what he's after). Second, he has very little
offensive power, so it's probably going to take several hits to kill
each monster, leaving the PC open to be hit every time in between. Yes,
healing spells are available, but how much mana is a level 6 healer
going to have?

--
Kevin Wayne
"We'll never survive!"
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."
--The Princess Bride
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Manuel" <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nathan wrote:
> > My best healer ever just lost his last pet on the top level of
> > Sokoban. Yes, I know what I did wrong. What do I do now?
> >
> > I have no tripe rations, haven't seen anything like
> > taming/charm monster. I'm XL 6, still wielding my scalpel.
> > The level is the amulet of reflection version, and I really
> > want that amulet.
> >
> > Do I try to take on the zoo alone, or wander the dungeons in
> > search of some means to get pets?
>
> If you have something with which you can engrave the E-word,
> you can do it alone.

Be careful. Not everything is scared of Elbereth. In particular, most,
AFAIK all, @s ignore it. You're not likely to meet nurses in Soko at XL
6, but there might be elves, who will merrily continue to bash on you
while you stand on your E-word. Also, be careful with dwarves with
daggers and gnomes with wands: IIRC Elbereth only works against
hand-to-hand attacks.

Richard
 

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
97
0
18,630
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> [Objections to trying to take the zoo with a level 6 healer
> wielding a scalpel.]
>
> Manuel wrote:
>
> > All of that is true. But most creatures do respect the E-word,
> > i.e. they won't attack you hand-to-hand. If you add that to the
> > convenience of fighting in a corridor and the healing spells to
> > recover from ranged attacks, then the zoo will probably be
> > very easy.
>
> I disagree. Doable, perhaps. Certainly not easy. First of all, there
> are likely to be wand-wielding monsters, and the OP doesn't have
> reflection yet (this is what he's after). Second, he has very little
> offensive power, so it's probably going to take several hits to kill
> each monster, leaving the PC open to be hit every time in between.
> Yes, healing spells are available, but how much mana is a level 6
> healer going to have?

Well... actually my message was at least a bit of an overstatement,
but if you only have to care about ranged attacks (save a couple
of @'s at most, probably not even that), AND you throw everything
throwable while in the corridor (so that every throw is likely to hit
*some* monster), AND the monsters hit one another because they are
"queuing" for you, then in my very humble opinion it is at
least quite doable.

Plus, in any case, he can flee when he senses real danger to his life.
Take into account the possibility of #pray'ing, but I'd save it for
the retreat if it were necessary.

Again, I can be wrong (that's one of the reasons why I die often). But
there is a lot to learn in trying! :-D

My opinion now is: if you don't try you'll never know.

And please forgive me if this message is a bit chaotic, in the RL
sense.

--
Hope that helps.
Manuel.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

[Discussing whether or not to trying to take the zoo with a level 6
healer wielding a scalpel.]

On 3/16/05 12:57 PM, Manuel wrote:
>
> Again, I can be wrong (that's one of the reasons why I die often). But
> there is a lot to learn in trying! :-D
>
> My opinion now is: if you don't try you'll never know.

Yes, there's a lot to learn in trying. Mostly, in Nethack, what you
learn is, "Gee, that last thing I tried was really dumb." ;-)

Seriously, learning *not* to charge into dangerous situations until
you're sure you're ready is just about the most important growth step in
the game.

Don't get me wrong. If the OP decides to try it, I really hope he makes
it. It's sure to be exciting, anyway!

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Kevin Wayne wrote:

> Seriously, learning *not* to charge into dangerous situations until
> you're sure you're ready is just about the most important growth step
> in the game.

Make that *fairly* sure.

In NetHack, you're never really sure.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Nathan wrote:
> I have no tripe rations, haven't seen anything like
> taming/charm monster. I'm XL 6, still wielding my scalpel.


Healers can quite easily get new pets, you know - you've got the "stone

to flesh" spell. Use it :)

I find Healers to be the easiest role to get a heap of pets, just go
into the mines, where dwarves have been digging into the walls, and you
should find a heap of rocks scattered about. Put them into a pile of
30+, stone to flesh, and there you have it, 30+ meatballs to tame
cats/dogs.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Nathan wrote:
> I have no tripe rations, haven't seen anything like
> taming/charm monster. I'm XL 6, still wielding my scalpel.

Healers can quite easily get new pets, you know - you've got the "stone
to flesh" spell. Use it :)

--LWM