Help a swede with his new system!

Captain87

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Greetings from Sweden. I'm new to overclocking but I have read severeal guides, both here and in swedish sites.

I'm now wondering how my new system will be able to overclock. You don't have to give me exact numbers because I now that it's hard to give. I'm looking for others who has experience on the subject and/or on my parts in particular.

My system is:

Cooler Master Centurion 534+, two built in fans in the back and one Noctua 1200RPM at the front.

XFX nForce 780i SLI

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO as CPU cooler.

Corsair Dominator 2x2048MB DDR2 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 *WITH AIRFLOW FAN*

Övrigt
Corsair TX Series PSU 750W
Leadtek GeForce GTX 280
Western Digital Caviar 320GB x2 and two optic drives

So how do you think I will be able to overclock my computer? Will I be able to overclock my CPU without overclocking my memory? I would prefer to work in "unlinked" mode and just overclock the CPU. Will any part be a "bottleneck"? And how will my cooling work?

I hope you understand my english :)

Any comments are appreciated, thanx!

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Stay away from 'unlinked' mode, it can cause problems. It's not really 'unlinked' anyway, it just uses a ton of funny dividers to keep the memclock constant.

You should be able to hit a FSB of 400MHz, pegging your E8500 at a monstrous 3.8GHz. I recommend running your RAM in a 1:1 ratio with the FSB (800MHz) and tighten the timings as much as you can.

One thing to keep in mind, some motherboards (NVIDIA boards in particular) loosen the "MCH read delay" timing behind the scenes when you overclock the FSB, negating some of the performance gains you would otherwise see by overclocking. If you can find a way to hold that value constant while maintaining stability you will have noticeably faster effective memory speeds. You can read more about it in this article.

Captain87

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Thanx for the link I will check it out.

To be honest the thing about overclocking I found to be most difficult is this whole memory thing. AS I mentioned in my first post I would rather not tinker with it.

As I understand my memory is working at 1066MHz? If my FSB is 400 as you suggest then my memory wouldn' be in the way right even if I work in unlinked mode?

I didn't think you could change the timings on the memory? I know you can go faster then 5-5-5-15 but how will I know how much?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

There isn't much to tinker with. Just set it to 1:1 and you're good to go; it doesn't really get any easier than that ;)

Just because your RAM is qualified to operate at 1066MHz doesn't mean it *has* to operate at 1066MHz. Really all that means is that it's high quality stuff, and if you run it at 800MHz like I suggested you could bring the timings down to at least 4-4-4-12.

See above :)

I don't have any personal experience with the 780i so I can't tell you specifically how things (memory timings, ratios) are labeled in the BIOS, but someone around here with an NVIDIA chipset should be able to help you if you get stuck.