[SOLVED] Help/Advice needed with Wireless Modem router please

Lee Dizzle

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hi

I have really slow internet, I am unable to get fibre as it is still not on my road (I know even in the year 2020!).
So I'm stuck with a basic DSL line from EE which gives me 12Mbps Download and 1.5 Mbps Upload (Sad Times).

I'm currently using EE's Bright Box 2 wireless router with TP-link AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit TL- WPA8630P Kit (so I can get strong wireless connection upstairs).

I would like to change my router to something up to date as I think my current one is struggling to deal with all the devices I have connected (around 12) not counting when friends and family come around.

I know my broadband line isn't fast and is a big factor with my setup but hopefully my road should be getting fibre soon, I just wanted to know if anyone could suggest a good wireless modem router with new tech that could help deal with all my devices better than my current one preferably with wifi 6 mimo etc.

Also could (or would) I still need to use my powerline with whatever is suggested?

Sorry guys I'm not very knowledgable with all the technical stuff but your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
First, don't get a combo modem/router. Get a standalone modem and separate router. That way, if you get faster internet you don't have to replace the router. Also standalone routers have better features.

Lee Dizzle

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks again I'll check them out for sure.

I was looking at the DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem and the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 or Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router,
would these work? (had future proofing in mind when looking at these).

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks again I'll check them out for sure.

I was looking at the DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem and the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 or Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router,
would these work? (had future proofing in mind when looking at these).
I can't comment on the modem. Did you search your ISP website for an approved list?
The most expensive routers usually don't provide much if any better performance. As for "futureproofing" -- WIFI6 is still too new to be paid-for IMO.
I recommend getting an AC1900 router and then if you need better WIFI get WIFI access points. No matter how awesome your router seems, the limiting factor is usually the client device WIFI.

TRENDING THREADS