Help! AE code on Asus Z87-Pro Motherboard

crat50

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
I have had my PC for the last 4 years and worked decently well until today. I came home today and attempted to start it up, but I got an error with the code 0xc00000e9 and said the issue was an I/O error caused by a removable storage device that was removed while it was being used or failing. I however haven't used a removable storage device in long time on this computer. I then decided to look inside and make sure everything had been properly connected and the next time I booted it up I got an AE code on the motherboard and nothing is displaying on my monitor.

I've already looked into it online and I have seen its something wrong with the boot legacy. I have unplugged both my hard drive and graphics card and tried booting it again, and the only time I didn't get the error was when the graphics card was unplugged. When this happened though nothing showed on my monitor still. I have also made sure to unplug all my USB devices when trying to reboot it and I still get the AE code.

If anyone could give me advice on how to fix it that would be greatly appreciated.

crat50

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

I just tried that and this time I ended up getting bios. Then I tried plugging in my hard drive again to see if it would work and I got the same System I/O error as before and the AE error code on the motherboard again. Do I need to buy a new hard drive?

You may need to buy a new HDD.
1. Can you tell if the hard drive is spinning up when you boot?
2. Is the hard drive plugged into one of the yellow Sata ports on your motherboard or one of the black ports? They use different controllers.
3. Do you have an extra Sata cable to test and make sure it's not a bad cable?

crat50

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

1. Yes the hard drive does spin on boot
2. The hard drive is plugged into one of the yellow ports
3. Just tested it with a different sata cable and still got the error

1. Can you check if your hard drive showing up in the BIOS?
2. Can you check the boot order in your BIOS, make sure your hard drive is set as first.