[SOLVED] [HELP] All USB devices disconnecting when launching certain programs

splimestudios

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
Hello,

I've come across a very annoying problem, and have exhausted all the usual methods of trying to troubleshoot it. Basically, my computer runs fine (using it to type this) but whenever I launch certain programs (not sure which programs triggers is) like Adobe Premiere Pro (but not After Effects) and CS:GO all my USB devices simultaneously disable and I have no option but to manually force shutdown my computer as I have no control of my keyboard ormouse. Interestingly the computer isn't "freezing" as I can still see the computer responding as normal providing updates like "USB device disconnected/not working" but I can't respond. In a number of situations the USB devices eventually reconnect after maybe 30 seconds or so, but then it occurs again not too long after.

I've currently reset my PC (windows 10 reset feature) twice now to no avail, have reinstalled about every driver (including graphics card) in Device Manager and updated everything. Have updated BIOS to latest version, have turned off my mild overclock, and have turned off power-saving features in Power Settings. I have also gone into Device manager and manually turned off the settings on USB root hubs and devices to do with the power-off feature to save power in low power states. I've checked for malware using malwarebytes and was fine. Everything points to a driver issue, but I don't know what else I can really do?

I've reinstalled Premiere Pro and CS:GO multiple times so it doesn't seem to be the issue; they're the only problems I've noticed with it so far (although I haven't opened many programs). My next thought was RAM, but I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and got nothing, and then another time I got a positive reading, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Same issue with Memtest. I've had the CPU replaced a while ago so I really don't think it's that (and the temps are fine; ~25C idle).

Any thoughts? Cheers.

Specs;
i7 6850k
Asus x99 Rog Strix MOBO
32gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM
H115i water cooler
GTX 1080 STRIX
850W Gold PSU
Samsung 960 Pro SSD
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Last edited:
Solution
I would be more inclined to get PC looked at by a repair shop than to blindly replace the motherboard. I would prefer to know for sure before spending money on a new one.

1 error is too many on memtest, 1000's is just obvious. I don't like the chances of all 4 sticks going bad at same time. I assume they were a matching set.

I have seen problems with Asmedia USB 3 drivers recently, I assume you tried all the USB ports when ithe problem started?

oldest drivers on PC are part of Corsair link, they are from 2010 but I guess Corsair still haven't seen need to update them.

Okay, so I cannot believe I'm saying this but I think the whole issue has been resolved by me changing my AI Tweaker settings from Manual (which it's been at...

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried a clean boot?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

what brand PSU is it?

splimestudios

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
have you tried a clean boot?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

what brand PSU is it?

Thanks for your reply. I ended up messing around in the bios just recently and disabled "Intel xHCI Mode" which thankfully so far seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why exactly such a small bios setting would have such weird ramifications but I have been running Premiere for 10 mins now with no issue. Admittedly I'm not sure what that setting does normally, but I don't seen to notice any difference. As for PSU, it's a EVGA Supernova. I've had my computer for over a year now with no issues of the like so I've got no clue what caused this. I guess I should tag the post solved if I can figure that out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Motherboard Manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/STRIX_X99_GAMING/E11712_STRIX_X99_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

lets see what it does
its on page 3-21 but it doesn't tell me anything...

it makes the usb ports act as USB 2. SO they work but they are slower

XHCI Mode = Disabled - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port

XHCI Mode = Enabled - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 3.0 port

XHCI Mode = Auto - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load. If you reboot the OS, the on-board USB 3.0 port again function like a 2.0 port during this reboot BIOS phase before OS USB 3.0 driver load.

XHCI Mode = Smart Auto - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load. If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward, but Enabled is fastest once you are sure the OS has the USB 3.0 driver installed, because it avoid the switching. Making the on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port is mainly to support OS installation or to support OS that does not have build-in USB 3.0 driver, so that the USB keyboard would still work if the user plug-in a USB keyboard or any other USB devices into the USB 3.0 ports before the OS is installed with the USB 3.0 driver come with the motherboard.

https://superuser.com/questions/480045/what-does-the-bios-setting-xhci-pre-boot-mode-do

now why would USB 3 functionality stop working when 2 keeps going?

What PSU do you have? I have seen cases where USB devices are 1st to be turned off if there is a power draw issue as PC turns them off first to make sure other parts still get power. From what i can tell, USB3 devices are meant to use less power BUT the ports can supply more so I have doubts still. Next in line is often the monitor when it comes to being turned off.

Last edited:

splimestudios

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
Motherboard Manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/STRIX_X99_GAMING/E11712_STRIX_X99_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

lets see what it does
its on page 3-21 but it doesn't tell me anything...

it makes the usb ports act as USB 2. SO they work but they are slower

XHCI Mode = Disabled - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port

XHCI Mode = Enabled - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 3.0 port

XHCI Mode = Auto - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load. If you reboot the OS, the on-board USB 3.0 port again function like a 2.0 port during this reboot BIOS phase before OS USB 3.0 driver load.

XHCI Mode = Smart Auto - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load. If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward, but Enabled is fastest once you are sure the OS has the USB 3.0 driver installed, because it avoid the switching. Making the on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port is mainly to support OS installation or to support OS that does not have build-in USB 3.0 driver, so that the USB keyboard would still work if the user plug-in a USB keyboard or any other USB devices into the USB 3.0 ports before the OS is installed with the USB 3.0 driver come with the motherboard.

https://superuser.com/questions/480045/what-does-the-bios-setting-xhci-pre-boot-mode-do

now why would USB 3 functionality stop working when 2 keeps going?

What PSU do you have? I have seen cases where USB devices are 1st to be turned off if there is a power draw issue as PC turns them off first to make sure other parts still get power. From what i can tell, USB3 devices are meant to use less power BUT the ports can supply more so I have doubts still. Next in line is often the monitor when it comes to being turned off.

It's the EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR SuperNova 850W G2 8-+ gold Full Modular PSU. I really don't think it's the monitor as the monitor is still on when my keyboard and peripherals disconnect. Interestingly one thing that I have noticed over the last day is intermittent BSODs with different codes "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" and "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED". I'm starting to think the XHCl issue was masking a deeper memory problem. Or maybe there were two issues?

I'll definitely have a look at the PSU though; what steps do you think I should take to test it without replacing it?

Cheers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

memory management can be drivers or ssd as well, windows counts ssd as memory as its where the page file is. LOoking at dumps will tell us more info.

Supernova aren't normally bad PSU

Your USB problem is a very strange problem and impossible to test directly while you have setting off. If USB is staying on now, and you happy to have slower USB connections. its one work around.

I wasn't saying it was monitor, I just mentioned them as a device that would normally power off as well as USB if it was a power problem.

What USB devices do you have?

Reactions: splimestudios

splimestudios

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

memory management can be drivers or ssd as well, windows counts ssd as memory as its where the page file is. LOoking at dumps will tell us more info.

Supernova aren't normally bad PSU

Your USB problem is a very strange problem and impossible to test directly while you have setting off. If USB is staying on now, and you happy to have slower USB connections. its one work around.

I wasn't saying it was monitor, I just mentioned them as a device that would normally power off as well as USB if it was a power problem.

What USB devices do you have?

Thanks for helping me out with all this. Just as I thought things were going well (just minutes ago) I got another BSOD and was able to upload the most recent dmp file; http://www.mediafire.com/file/hpxol2473ymb4wq/080819-13515-01.dmp/file. I've also uploaded the two previous dmp files that were already created from previous BSODs earlier today which are accessable here; http://www.mediafire.com/file/z2ebisejgg08tc7/080819-13421-01.dmp/file and here; http://www.mediafire.com/file/zo5sing4c5zictj/080819-13218-01.dmp/file.

The other thing I noticed (may or may not be related) is Samsung Magician recognises my 850 EVO 1TB SSD, but it says to the other 960 ssd (of which my operating system is installed on) that "This drive is not supported" and that the 'NVMe Driver' is unknown. I tried reinstalling the NVMe Driver and restarted but that didn't fix it. And I do use a lot of my USB ports, mainly for hard drives to transfer footage off for editing.

While I wait for your reply, I'll try and mess around with some different settings with the XHCl mode and see if anything interesting happens on some of the other settings.

Cheers.

Edit: I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics twice in a row and it can back positive for hardware errors both times. Sadly, unless the MOBO is faulty I'm starting to be convinced I've gotten bad ram :/ - might run Memtest overnight to be sure though.

Edit #2: computer all of a sudden not even getting to windows. Constant BSODS on boot... now I'm confused??

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do the bsod at boot show any codes?

Are you running memtest on 1 stick at a time?

try powering pc off, unplugging it. leaving it off for a while and turn back on and see if that makes any difference to BSOD.

I get friend to look at dumps, they still might help

try unplugging anything unessential for startup, so extra drives, only have KB/mouse attached

splimestudios

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
Do the bsod at boot show any codes?

Are you running memtest on 1 stick at a time?

try powering pc off, unplugging it. leaving it off for a while and turn back on and see if that makes any difference to BSOD.

I get friend to look at dumps, they still might help

try unplugging anything unessential for startup, so extra drives, only have KB/mouse attached

BSODs were all different each time, but often to do with critical driver missing to start Windows or kernel issues. I am currently running Memtest with the first 8gb stick of DDR4 ram in dimmslot a1 by itself with no errors so far. How long should I wait before switching to the next ram module?

I've also unplugged everything except the essential peripherals.

As for leaving it and coming back, I got it to get to Windows briefly upon boot but it quickly BSOD not too long after. Am now in Memtest on Pass 1.

Edit: Okay so I ran everything through Memtest on an initial run and got some very interesting results. I've layed out the test in order of how I ran them. I will deal with proper extended Memtest runs later this morning.

Ram Module 1: First pass successful with no errors (after ~25 mins) --> attempted to boot computer but still got a BSOD before I could enter Windows.

Ram Module 2: First pass unsuccessful with 1000s of errors (froze midway through pass 1 after about 5 minutes)

Ram Module 3: First pass unsuccessful with 100s of errors

Ram Module 4: First pass unsuccessful with 100s of errors (froze midway through pass 1 after about 7 minutes).

I then thought - I'll double check RAM Module 1 to see if it might be working.

Ram Module 1: First pass unsuccessful with 1000s of errors (almost instantly) --> froze after 3 minutes. This confused me. Why did Memtest first say no errors and then almost instantly in the 2nd run give 1000s of errors?

Such a strange issue; now I'm starting to think maybe it's the MOBO? But I've had it replaced before for completely separate issues so I'm hesitant to go there.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/loOt.html
File information:080819-13515-01.dmp (Aug 8 2019 - 08:24:29)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

File information:080819-13421-01.dmp (Aug 8 2019 - 01:31:55)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for WdFilter.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:080819-13218-01.dmp (Aug 7 2019 - 22:12:27)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)
BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would be more inclined to get PC looked at by a repair shop than to blindly replace the motherboard. I would prefer to know for sure before spending money on a new one.

1 error is too many on memtest, 1000's is just obvious. I don't like the chances of all 4 sticks going bad at same time. I assume they were a matching set.

I have seen problems with Asmedia USB 3 drivers recently, I assume you tried all the USB ports when ithe problem started?

oldest drivers on PC are part of Corsair link, they are from 2010 but I guess Corsair still haven't seen need to update them.

splimestudios

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017

Thanks Colif. Yeah, what I think I'll do is I'll borrow some of my friend's RAM that works and test it in my build - if that shows errors in Memtest and/or I keep getting BSODs I think it's safe to assume the MOBO is at fault (as I've ruled out the CPU... had it replaced about 2 months ago). If I don't get errors, it's easy enough to get RAM replaced (lifetime warranty). Although that being said - I'll look into getting a quote from a repair shop to have a look at it for sure if I still am unsuccessful after that. The weirdest issue is the BSODs are so inconsistent. I'm currently using the computer now to type this, but maybe in 10 minutes I'll get a BSOD out the blue and won't be able to boot into windows.

And yes I have tried different USB ports; they all go out when the problem started so I can't unplug the keyboard and plug it in elsewhere. The Corsair Link software I did update though, but I'm sure we can agree that it's likely to be irrelevant here.

Anyway I appreciate all your help so far and will update you on developments.

splimestudios

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017

Okay, so I cannot believe I'm saying this but I think the whole issue has been resolved by me changing my AI Tweaker settings from Manual (which it's been at for the last year and to which I had set to the RAM's frequency of 3200Mhz) to the XMP profile. It seems that this resolved the issue (has been running fine for the last day). When I ram Memtest sure enough I got 0 errors when I had the XMP profile on and have not yet experienced a single BSOD or USB driver problem (I reenabled the xHCl settings). I then reverted the RAM settings back to the original settings and got immediate errors.

I have no idea why the XMP profile fixed everything, but I assume there was some issue with the voltages when I had the manual overclock on (and by overclock everything was pretty much set to AUTO except for the RAM which I manually set to 3200 per the actual RAM speed), especially considering it had been working fine for so long without an issue. I suspect a BIOS update may have had something to do with this.

Cheers for all the help anyway, and I'll keep you posted if I get anything weird going on later on. But at this point I think I'm happy to say the issue is resolved.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS