*HELP* Amd fx 8350 Overclock on a Biostar TA970

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cl0nec0mmand0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
■ Recently I bought a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo for my processor and decided to look up some guides to overclock my CPU the only problem is that my last attempt ended poorly and that the BIOS options were slightly different between mine and most guides. Can anyone possibly give me a simple tutorial how to specifically overclock with this motherboard. (I understand that this motherboard isn't that high quality so i wont get a massive overclock but anything helps.)
Link to Motherboard: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=623#ov

[If needed I can post pictures of the BIOS or do anything to help you guys help me :)]

Solution
The "Custom P-States"-Option allows to choose the CPU Clock Multiplier, Voltage and so on. BUT it's not going to work with your Motherboard and the FX-8350. Maximum TDP on that board is 140W, the 8350 needs 125 W @ 4 GHz.

The TA 970 is fine as long as you don't want to overclock. The VRMs (voltage regulation) reach 200°F and more at stock clock. Overclocking would simply cause thermal throttling. You'd need a motherboard with an 8+2 power phase design (e.g. Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0) to do that.

BreakinB

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
The "Custom P-States"-Option allows to choose the CPU Clock Multiplier, Voltage and so on. BUT it's not going to work with your Motherboard and the FX-8350. Maximum TDP on that board is 140W, the 8350 needs 125 W @ 4 GHz.

The TA 970 is fine as long as you don't want to overclock. The VRMs (voltage regulation) reach 200°F and more at stock clock. Overclocking would simply cause thermal throttling. You'd need a motherboard with an 8+2 power phase design (e.g. Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0) to do that.

Solution
Feb 15, 2019
I am able to get a stable 4.4ghz OC on the Biostar TA970, with the AMD FX 8350. CPU voltage is 1.3750 and the NB is 1.1750 ( The TA970 I have is yellow and black.)

Other specs are; 16gb Gskillz ddr3 1600 ram, GTX 1070 GPU, 1200W psu, Windows 10 pro 64bit.

I have tried many configurations, but I have not been successful at anything above 4.4

The board temps get to high and crash during game play. I would like to see a 5.0 OC but I think a Saber tooth MB is the only way that might be possible and this CPU is reached the end of its life cycle just barley.

Feb 15, 2019
can someone please answer this im trying to be patient

Restart your PC and spam the DELETE button on your keyboard, this will bring up your bios.
go to the last tab and hit restore to defaults, so that you can start fresh.

Go to the Performance tab, go down to costume P states and enable, set multiplier to 4.4 ghz, go too CPU voltage and set to 1.3750, go to save changes and restart.

If your PC Will not boot then you have to reset your COMOS by turning off the PC at the power supply and use the jumper (little black plastic rectangle on metal pins located right behind the GPU, the board will say in really small print comos) pull the jumper off, move it up to the top two pins then immediately back down to it's original position, congratulations you just reset the bios!

Cl0nec0mmand0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Restart your PC and spam the DELETE button on your keyboard, this will bring up your bios.
go to the last tab and hit restore to defaults, so that you can start fresh.

Go to the Performance tab, go down to costume P states and enable, set multiplier to 4.4 ghz, go too CPU voltage and set to 1.3750, go to save changes and restart.

If your PC Will not boot then you have to reset your COMOS by turning off the PC at the power supply and use the jumper (little black plastic rectangle on metal pins located right behind the GPU, the board will say in really small print comos) pull the jumper off, move it up to the top two pins then immediately back down to it's original position, congratulations you just reset the bios!
A bit late I already went to a 4690k and then an 8700k :p

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Status
Not open for further replies.