Help... AMD Overdrive freezes after a few mins.

jimmiekain

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
First of let me say I already searched the formus and couldnt find the answer I need so I'm asking it...

I downloaded and installed AMD Overdrive software today from the amd website. I click the Auto Clock button it runs and freezes after 15 to 20 mins. I have tried it about 5 times and it keeps freezing. I uninstalled it reinstalled it and tried it again with no luck. I turned everything off in the background even my virus scanner. Still no luck!

I have seen posts / forums where people experienced freezes after applying settings but I havent applied anything because it freezes druing the the Auto Clock.

Can someone please help me? I realize my video card is nvidia but from what i understand thats fine. Please help!!

CPU: Phenom x4 9950 BE
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 640mb
MOBO: MSI K9A2 Platinum
RAM: OCZ 800mhz
FAN: Coolor Master 1000 watt
HDD: Prim. WD 300gb, Sec. Toshiba 300gb

My understanding is that you need a motherboard with the 700 series southbridge to achieve deacent overclocking results with Phenom processors. Yours has the 600 series southbridge chip.
So dont expect much if any ovverclocking. Most amd chips are allready close to their max speed when shipped.

geckoar

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Well i got the same CPU and mobo as the OP and I use AMD overdrive.

I dont use it to OC I use it for the temps of my phenom and my 4870 and to see all of the little speeds of all the RAm and everything.

I have my 9950 running at 2.85ghz I upped the muti. and raised the HT link to 204 I runs great All games maxed.

Go to BIOS and OC there. Start by upping the muti. one step and test and keep going till the comp freezes or you get a BSOD. Good Luck

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
The MSI K9A2 Platinum wasn't much of an overclocking board to start with. HardOCP did a review of it and they said it was the first board they had ever tested that the southbridge chip actually blew up when they tried to overclock it. That one reveiw steered me away from the MSI board

To really overclock the CPU you will need a 750SB board with ACC. On the 600SB all AOD really can do is provide good monitoring of your system.

That board has pretty solid overclocking abilities, but combining it with the Phenom 9950 and the overdrive utility is less than ideal. As everyone else here has pointed out, you need a board with an SB750 to get the absolute most out of overclocking a Phenom. Still the MSI K9A2 Platinum will allow you achieve a decent overclock in comparison to other boards with the SB600. Some 9950 can overclock o.k, while others are rather limited to their stock speed.

If you want to overclock do it manually.

jimmiekain

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
****Update!****
As I mentioned in the first post, when i click the "Auto Clock" button it runs for 15 to 20 mins. Here is one bit of info i forgot to mention. When it freezes I have to push the button on my case to restart it. When it comes back on after about 5 mins of computer usage i get an error message from "overdrive" (while its not even running) saying there was a compatibility issue with my operating system. Now, this is a brand new setup. I had not registered windows. I did it last night. Is it a possibility that would have something to do with it?