Mar 22, 2020
Hello all,

I am a relatively inexperienced enthusiast who is looking to make some upgrades. I built my computer with the help of a friend back in 2014. I did build my rig with the expectation that it should work with most games for at least 5 years. At this point, the time is coming to make a few upgrades as games are evolving towards 4k and higher GPU demands. I am reaching out for some advice and idea to make these upgrades.

My current setup:

Intel I5-4690K 3.50- (OC) 3.90 GHz
16gb DDR3 ram (1600)
NVIDIA GeForce 970
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI

This may be a silly question but as it stands would I be okay simply upgrading the GPU to a 2060-70, would it be worth going for DDR4 memory and if so what motherboard would be ideal?

Thanks

Solution
Hello all,

I am a relatively inexperienced enthusiast who is looking to make some upgrades. I built my computer with the help of a friend back in 2014. I did build my rig with the expectation that it should work with most games for at least 5 years. At this point, the time is coming to make a few upgrades as games are evolving towards 4k and higher GPU demands. I am reaching out for some advice and idea to make these upgrades.

My current setup:

16gb DDR3 ram (1600)
NVIDIA GeForce 970

This may be a silly question but as it stands would I be okay simply upgrading the GPU to a 2060-70, would it be worth going for DDR4 memory and if so what motherboard would be...
Mar 22, 2020
any motherboard that support the cpu will be ddr3

Thank you for the input, as far as I know, it only supports 4th and 5th gen processors. I am debating swapping the motherboard and doing a full refresh on the processor, ram, and GPU. Just don't have a sense of direction as far as models, and brands to look for. Price is important but I'm not cheap when it comes to this.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Hello all,

My current setup:

16gb DDR3 ram (1600)
NVIDIA GeForce 970

This may be a silly question but as it stands would I be okay simply upgrading the GPU to a 2060-70, would it be worth going for DDR4 memory and if so what motherboard would be ideal?

Thanks
It's always OK as long as you have the money
But, is it worth it?
With rtx upgrade you'll gain some fps, not by much because your cpu holding you off
You need to build new system with ddr4 combined with rtx graphics card

Reactions: Teachme2dougie
Solution