help and your opinion on what to get

asmiff21

Reputable
May 19, 2015
So basically i need help picking a graphics card for my build

I have a gigabyte 970a-ud3p motherboard

An amd fx 8350 cpu

I am looking for a decent card that will go with this set up and run games on ultra settings with ease. I'm new to building pc's so i wouldn't mind a little bit of help and opinions thanks.

Solution
Good CPU, so it can run any card without a problem.

Wait another 2-3 weeks. AMD is launching the new 390x and Nvidia is runining the party with the 980 Ti soon after.

Those will drive down prices of the 980 and other cards, like the 970 etc.

I recommend a 970/980 at least to run Ultra on most titles on 1080p

DasHotShot

Honorable
Good CPU, so it can run any card without a problem.

Wait another 2-3 weeks. AMD is launching the new 390x and Nvidia is runining the party with the 980 Ti soon after.

Those will drive down prices of the 980 and other cards, like the 970 etc.

I recommend a 970/980 at least to run Ultra on most titles on 1080p

Solution

asmiff21

Reputable
May 19, 2015

Yeah thats a good idea that i like the sound of that one ive been looking at the 980s this past week and then ended up looking about like looking at 970s aswell as r9 290s vapor x. Just was unsure on what would go well with the build i have

Cheers

pjstar30

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I've recently purchased an R9 260X 2GB video card and I can run everything I've tried so far on max 1080p with it. The one I have will support up to 3 monitors on a single card and they have another version of the same card that will support 4. Best part is that that the 260x is down to around $110 and you can find ones like the one I got with a rebate for $90.

DasHotShot

Honorable
Don't do it OP...a 260x will NOT run ANYTHING newer than 2 years on Ultra...heck it wont run anything newer than 3 or 4 years old on Ultra.

You need a 970 to be sure of max settings/max frames on that res...nothing lower than a 280x...however this won't run Witcher and stuff like that on Ultra, I guarantee that

pjstar30

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

OP....he's definitely wrong because I'm doing it in my rig right now.

However, if money isn't an issue then definitely go with a higher end video card. I was just simply offering a more cost effective solution that will do what you want it to if you are strapped for cash.

pjstar30

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

I could list 3 titles easily but you will simply claim BS and say that I have no proof. I've been on these forums long enough to know how these things work. That being said, I know what the card in question will do because I own one and from your signature it appears that you do not so I can only conclude that you are basing your opinions on something you've read somewhere or your own personal preference.

Regardless, this forum is not here for people to compete or argue with each other about what their system will or won't do. We are here to answer questions that people ask and I believe we have done so for the OP since he has chosen his "best solution" so let's just leave it at that.

DasHotShot

Honorable

Or you are trying to get out of the hole you dug for yourself...

I have experience with a VAST array of cards as I have built and continue to build systems for people, with all manner of budgets and desired application...

Please, humour me with a recent AAA title you managed to "max out" on the 260x on ONE monitor...let alone 3! I would be able to draw on a whole PLANET of information and detailed benchmarks to disprove your claim.

Here are the likely scenarios we find ourselves in:

- You have no idea what "maxed" out means and believe setting a gfx preset in a game menu is it
- You have tested games like CS GO and LOL, rather than graphics intense titles, only
- You are full of s*** and are trying to be clever, giving horrible advice at the same time

There are no other REAL world scenarios where what you claimed in your first sentence of your first post can be true.

It isn't a guessing game, these are not he middle ages where men believe in fables and fairy tales.

We have enormous amounts of data available to us for free these days which allows us to stay properly informed...

Furthermore...my hardware CAN'T max out recent AAA games on 2560x1080...so yours sure as hell can't "max" out 1080p.

So name the games...or walk away

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Suprised the titan can't run witcher 3, the 970 can max it at around 45 fps.... lose some AA for 60... 1920x1080

edit - also the r9 260 is below min spec for running witcher 3... so you can tell the quality of that information.

pjstar30

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Sorry, could you please point out where exactly I said I could run Witcher 3 on my 260x?

The OP also did not mention Witcher 3, he simply said "games".

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013

if you must be argumentative. at least read what you are arguing... i adressed the remark about a titan, to the guy with a titan. *facedesk* However the op did state ultra settings with ease....

a 2gb card is not having any kind of ease with any AAA title from this year or even a few from last year. particularly not entry-mid level 2gb cards, when mid to high 2gb's struggle.

If you cant spot a trend thats about to bite your wallet, i pity your grocery shopping trips.

I doubt the op would be best pleased to buy a card that limits him from playing any new titles at the level of graphical fidelity he wants to.

I added the point that it is below min spec as. if you buy a card thats literally incapable of playing a certain game already released, whats your chances that it will play the next big title? lower. definitely not ultra settings if at all.

DasHotShot

Honorable

I need to clarify my expectations, which are min FPS @ 60. AA shadows filtering textures on Ultra.

The last AAA title I could play on those settings was Crysis 3. Thereafter I could no longer sustain the FPS.

I can run GTA 5 on a VERY high setting all round even with msaa x2 on 50-60.

Witcher 3 is also roughly 45 with my system.

I agree completely with your sentiments below regarding our charlatan friend with his ULTRA edition 260x. +1

DasHotShot

Honorable

No, I said AAA games...however you don't know what that means, so no surprises here

TRENDING THREADS