Question Help! ASUS z390 Prime A - Black screen when turning on PC

Nov 29, 2021
UPDATE:

Turns out I had two issues.

Firstly my monitor would show no display. I managed to get another one to connect up and bingo I am back in the BIOS. For whatever reason my Samsung would display nothing even though it was connected properly. Once I managed to get back to windows I was able to connect my main monitor back and it worked!

The other issue was the boot: For some reason ASUS's default settings forget about any bootable device you had. So I had to find the CSM (I think) setting and make sure it was on Legacy and UEFI. Once that was updated I was able to get back into windows.

Hopefully this helps if anyone gets this random issue!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

My issue is when I turn on my PC my computer works fine... but the VGA and BOOT lights are solid and do not turn off. As well as this my monitor displays nothing, not even a splash screen.

This all started after resetting my BIOS to default settings from an overclock.

Specs:
i7 9700k
Asus Z390 Prime A
4x8 3200mhz ram
1000w EVGA PSU

For the life of me I have no idea why it wont seemingly post even though it appears to run fine. I have tried a different display port cable, connecting the DP to my on board display port.

I have also reset the CMOS to no avail.

Everything was fine before this happened, no major temp issues or anything so really confused.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful to hear them!!!

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The first thing I would do would be to reseat the GPU and check it's power connector, try again.

When you reset BIOS/CMOS how did you do so?

The final straw solution would be to pull the components out of the case, put the mobo on it's box and set the system up as minimally as possible. CPU/Cooler, one stick of RAM, connect the power cables and see if it will boot to BIOS. Add the storage (OS) drive, see if it will boot. Then add equipment back one at a time up to when it will not (if it does not) boot.

Nov 29, 2021
The first thing I would do would be to reseat the GPU and check it's power connector, try again.

When you reset BIOS/CMOS how did you do so?

The final straw solution would be to pull the components out of the case, put the mobo on it's box and set the system up as minimally as possible. CPU/Cooler, one stick of RAM, connect the power cables and see if it will boot to BIOS. Add the storage (OS) drive, see if it will boot. Then add equipment back one at a time up to when it will not (if it does not) boot.

I did have to pull the GPU to get to the CMOS, out but in doing so I did ensure it was seated properly.... I may have to try your latter suggestion unfortunately.

Edit: forgot to mention I originally reset the bios settings through the bios itself hitting f5 and restarting. That's when the issue occurred.

Last edited: