iUP

May 24, 2020
Hello, This is my first post here and i hope this community can help me.
With that being said, i have an Asus Zephyrus GA502D laptop.

This laptop has a ryzen 3750H, GTX 1660TI, and 8GB of on board memory. Being that it was single channel I looked into upgrading the ram. The ryzen 3750H only supports 2400mhz on board memory but when i did a little research, i went to crucials website it said i would be able to add 8GB of 2666 memory https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-zephyrus-(ga502) .

I went ahead and bought the memory and installed it. I noticed my system did in fact recognize that it was upgraded to 16GB, but I noticed when i went to play dark souls and tekken the frame rate couldnt get past 30FPS and was so choppy it was unplayable. So i uninstalled the new ram, and bingo the laptop was back to normal and played all my games fine. Can someone please explain to me what could be wrong?

Well it downlocks from 2666mhz to 2400mhz. So it would of been same to buy the 2400mhz kit. Just curious if your onboard memory was already running on dual channel, get cpu-z and check the slots in SPD what is the onboard memory part number, and what is your memory mhjz running currently? Is it running on dual?

iUP

May 24, 2020
Well it downlocks from 2666mhz to 2400mhz. So it would of been same to buy the 2400mhz kit. Just curious if your onboard memory was already running on dual channel, get cpu-z and check the slots in SPD what is the onboard memory part number, and what is your memory mhjz running currently? Is it running on dual?
Ok so when I go to spd there is a blank screen on slot 1 & 2, when I go over to memory it says single channel, dram frequency 933mhz. When I put the 2666 crucial stick in slot 1 pops up and say ranks single, frequency is 1333mhz. The name of onboard memory is “asynch”

found the model so its 1x8gb 17-17-17-39, Single-Channel is the onboard memory running at 2400mhz, it shows always half the real speed in cpu-z since ddr= double data rate.

I have no idea why they sell 2666mhz for this model that will just get downclocked anyway.

The onboard ram might not be able to run at 2666mhz, can you change timings / ram speed in bios with this model?

iUP

May 24, 2020
No unfortunately you can’t mess with bios settings at all, no overclocking ect. Think it’s due to this being a Ryzen build not sure. The only things in advanced settings you can access is nvme settings, network configuration and data controllers