Help--Athlon 1.33G scores a dismal 3DMark

G

I just upgraded my old Pentium III 700 which was running on a 440BX motherboard. It scored 3068 on 3DMark2001. After changing out the motherboard to an Athlon 1.333 GHz/Iwill KK266 using the same exact SDRAM and 3D card (GeForce 2 Pro) I get about 1270 on the same benchmark.

The frame rates in 3D games are less than half what they were on my old Pentium III 700. How is this possible??? I even tried cranking up the FSB to 143 so the CPU is now running at 1433 MHz, but that made no difference. It's still slow as piss running 3D games.

Any ideas? What can I do to fix this?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Have you compared your scores with others who have your setup? Are your scores anywhere near them?

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

G

.....aahhhh.....yet another dissapionted Athlon customer. Maybe you can get together with namgorf....and drink away your blue's....

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Drivers make a big difference. You need to download the latest GeForce2 drivers from www.nvidia.com, also the latest BIOS updates, etc.

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Rest assured your system will get faster!!!!

My 1.33 with a little 'tweaking' currently posts over 4300 in 2001 and over 9700 in 2000.

1st question, what operating system are you using?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
><i>My 1.33 with a little 'tweaking' currently post over 4300 in 2001 and over 9700 in 2000.</i>

yours seems to be getting slower.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

Uh, did anyone read my post? I said I got up to 3068 with the EXACT SAME setup, the only difference being the motherboard and cpu. So I'm comparing it with a P3 700 system.

When I upgrade from a P3 700 to an Athlon 1333, I expect that the scores would IMPROVE somewhat, not the other way around. Unfortunately the Athlon 1333 runs similar in speed to a Pentium 150. This is exactly the nightmare I was dreading when I decided to jump on the AMD bandwagon as Tom reccommends. Looks like that was huge mistake.

The system is exactly the same besides the cpu and motherboard. The drivers are Detonator 10.80, not that it would make this big of a difference. What I'm thinking is there must be some kind of configuration mistake somewhere, but all I did was to turn it on and load BIOS defaults. Maybe someone knows of an Athlon or KT133A tweak guide somewhere?

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well it cause your using a crappy via chipset. Try formatting and getting new drivers. You should got SiS, ALi, AMD chipset. VIA KT133a vs. 440bx don't make me laugh the 440bx is more stable and runs almost any card with no problems. Remember Intel is the best chipset maker out today. Even i wish there was a 440bx or i815 for the Athlon. i wish everything was on the same socket again "good old socket7 days".

Leader of the Anti VIA-Nvidia Army

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

Well it's very good of you to have thought of me and my pc and show due concern for our welfare.

Fortunately I'm happy to report that it's running faster than ever having just posted scores on 3D2000 and 3D2001 of 4496 and 9939 respectively.

**Hmm got carried away there - actually 4496 on 3D2001 and 9939 on 3D2000 - but I'm sure everyone guessed that anyway**

You know (well obviously you couldn't possibly know, but you do now), I own a PIII as well, was very happy with it, and still am. Just bought it a new case and heatsink and it's doing a great job.

For my new system I wanted the fasted, best system that seemed to fit my needs. I'm pretty handy, so I wasn't too daunted with the warnings of crushed CPU dies on AMDs, also I'm running well within temp limits (whilst posting those 3DMarks I never went over 41 degrees).

I'm not going to get into a big slanging match with you about AMD vs. Intel. This time round AMD fit my needs. Maybe nextime the P5 wil be the chip of choice - who knows?

One thing I do know - when I see you posting all this JUNK not only putting AMD down - but also putting down new/possibly inexperienced users/posters when they are having a bad time of it - I come right off the fence and proudly stand in the AMD camp - because it's the one that you are not in.

If you don't have any constructive advice to offer I'm sure everyone on this forum (with the exception of a very small minority, who we'd also like to leave, thank you very much) would rather you took you and your offensive attitude and unloaded it somewhere else.

I feel better for saying that.

Good night.

email for application details<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peteb on 04/19/01 02:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

i kinda wonder why you spent money to upgrade that system.
anyway i have the same problem with a 1ghz@266 athlon and a radeon card. my 3dmark is horrible my p3 600 tnt2 ultra beats it. my 3d mark with the radeon is like 1300 but it runs quake3 fine.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well - of course it isn't going to work with exactly the same setup.

Did you update windows (if it is 2k) yet to support the UATA100 controller properly? Are you running Via 4in1 4.29? Possibly not having just swapped from a 440BX...

Swapping mobos, CPUs and chipsets is not out with the old, in with the new operation - it does require a little finishing!!!

Try the latest windows updates, via 4in1 4.29 drivers and then come back and let us know where you are.

Failing that you may need to reinstall your OS. I'd usually do this as a matter of course anyway.

G

Thanks for the tips so far. I have downloaded and installed VIA's "4in1429" drivers, and my 3DMark2001 score has jumped from around 1270 up to 3666! A huge improvement and already it is faster than my old 440BX/P3-700 system. I guess those drivers do something after all, heh.

Now I will check Windows Updates to see if there is anything Microsoft has to offer.

After that, I will start tweaking the FSB and CAS latency settings and see how much better it can get. I see many, many people scoring over 4000 with the Athlon running at 1333, so I figure I should be able to get it up to 4000 before starting with the overclocking stuff.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You also want to check your IRQ setting for device sharing/conflicts. You wanna make sure your video card is not sharing an IRQ with and other card. Might be problems there as yes, Via is know for screwy AGP performance. See, the score isn't your chip, it's your system. My Duron 700 with GeForce 256 gets like 2000 3DMark2001 and 5200 3DMark2000. I'm sure your system will be smokin soon.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>>My 1.33 with a little 'tweaking' currently post over 4300 in 2001 and over 9700 in 2000.

yours seems to be getting slower.</b>
You seem not having a clue what you're talking about, do you?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Score is still low

Download the deto 12 drivers from:

www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com

yes, these are the leaked drives and read the readme on removing your old drivers or:

setup as a standard VGA reboot
sear ch for NV*.* and delete all all from windows\system
Load new deto 12 drivers.

This is the best method.

These drivers work with Geforce3 nicely too

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Unfortunately the Athlon 1333 runs similar in speed to a Pentium 150.

Apparently AMD has its own "throttle down feature" that turns your 1.333GHz processor into a P 150MHz processor – just at the moment you demand peak performance. On the other hand, you will probably still be able to check your email at 1.333GHz

:smile:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, the 4-in1 drivers allow to use your video card at AGP 4X instead of the default PCI mode.

Try the nVidia Detonator 4 driver, version 10.80. I found it was worth about another 80 points on 3DMark2001 vs detonator 3, version 6.50.

You will get the most gains from video overclocking but be careful.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Just curious but since you like critisizing everyone else - what's your setup?

<<Apparently AMD has its own "throttle down feature" that turns your 1.333GHz processor into a P 150MHz processor – just at the moment you demand peak performance. On the other hand, you will probably still be able to check your email at 1.333GHz>>

I think you confused AMD with Intel, who - unlike AMD - prefer to lie about their processor heat output. I KNOW my AMD will get hot, especially overclocked, but the sad muppets who think their P4 1.5 is only going to put out 52 watts will suddently realise it'll only run seti at 750mhz. If they came clean about the power output upfront, people would use an appropriate sink, and allow the P4 to run at full capacity (about that of a 1.2AMD *lol*).

Face it - you are not going to look clever arguing about one large organisation and it's product by comparing to another which is at least, if not more guilty of similar and other screw ups.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately for YOU, you missed the dozen or so posts saying that he installed one simple driver and got it going faster than his other setup. LoL@you

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

G

Well folks things change rather quickly. I was all happy with my performance increase with VIA's drivers, but since then things have gone downhill. I am about ready to give it up actually. I've spent over $500 on new stuff for this Athlon system and it's a piece of crap. I should have gone for the Pentium III 1GHz that I was thinking about.

The trouble is that it crashes constantly. I've taken ALL the cards out of it except for the GeForce 2 Pro card, and yet it still crashes. My D: drive is inaccessible and has been thoroughly trashed by Windows trying to access it, as the IDE controller does not work properly, and it doesn't matter whether DMA is on or off. I've lost all my games and MP3 library that I had stored there, (it is an expensive, brand-new IBM DeskStar 45 GB drive.) I've got all the BIOS settings at their most conservative, slowest settings and yet it remains unstable. The $80 cooler keeps the cpu under 43C at all times, yet it freezes up regularly. I've tried George's PCI fix but that only made things worse, so I quickly removed it. I have only purchased the most expensive, quality components such as Mushkin PC133 Rev3 SDRAM, and I'm running it at the most conservative CL3 at 133 MHz just to be sure.

No, I am not about to reinstall Windows 98SE again. I would rather spend another $500 on a new Pentium system instead, and throw this Athon 1.33 GHz and KT133A mb into the garbage.

This is just a warning to anyone considering building their own Athlon system. Be aware that you will spend many many hours of hair-pulling and agony to get it working, compared to just about any Intel-based system which will be up and running in 30 minutes. I know, I've built many Intel systems. This is my first Athlon system though. I've now had it for 48 hours and it is STILL not working. I just hope the end result will be worth all this.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TimF on 04/18/01 09:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I have to say I think that your expectations are off if you do not accept an OS reinstall as a viable option for a new PC setup.

If you expected to unplug your 440 mobo and plug in a Asus Via board without doing any work then I'm afraid your estimate was off. The same would be true in reverse, I'm sure.

I wouldn't look to blame AMD ar ASUS for this - I got my system built, from scratch, in a couple of hours (including OS install and patching) and that was my first AMD system. Reading up about the required patching and updates before I undertook it helped me a lot.

Sorry you are not having any joy with yours, but I seriously think that reinstalling 98 will do the trick. You're gonna have to do it anyway.

G

I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your situation. It can be e real bitch trying to get some AMD units to work. There are thousands of bad AMD posts on this forum as well as many other sites. Stick with Intel and you'll always know that it will work. I run a MSI 694D Pro board. Dual 733's running under W2K. It has the the Via 694XDP chipset (the 686A southbridge, not 686B). If your gonna run multithreaded apps its worth considering. It runs rock solid and super quick. A nice even spread of cpu utilisation, much better than my Asus P2B-DS running dual P2 450's. The board came with the Promise Ultra100 chip (nice cheap HD solution) but I gotta thing for SCSI. You should still be able to get good money for your AMD stuff. Plenty of brainwashed people who'll pay good dollars for it. Good luck!!!

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey dude, just want to publicly apologize for the comments I made earlier, as I am aware now that you were mislead by the roving AMD puppies who frequent these boards.

first of all, No amount of savings will justify the enormous amount of heartache, downtime, frustration, loss of data, incompatabilities and general disapointments you will have to put up with-when you switch to the AMD/VIA platform.

My advice is to get back on track with Intel and in the future if you see AMD as a viable alternitive then it's ok too.

good luck.

TRENDING THREADS