Question Help bent front panel pins!

Jan 18, 2022
Afternoon,

I have a ASUS ROG Strix Z270e mobo in my old PC which I have given to my son after a new purchase.

For reason unknown to me he has decided to remove the front panel 20 pin connector from the mobo as it was in the way of him installing a new SSD. He tried to re-plug it in and has bent nearly every pin therefore now we cannot turn the PC on as the front panel power button is not connected. (I do have a picture of the 20 pin connection if needed but it looks like its from a horror movie be warned).

My question is... Is there any other way to get the PC powering up eg sacrificing some of the functionality on the front panel (like the usb ports) and suing a different connection on the mobo?

Thanks in advance

kanewolf

Titan
Afternoon,

I have a ASUS ROG Strix Z270e mobo in my old PC which I have given to my son after a new purchase.

For reason unknown to me he has decided to remove the front panel 20 pin connector from the mobo as it was in the way of him installing a new SSD. He tried to re-plug it in and has bent nearly every pin therefore now we cannot turn the PC on as the front panel power button is not connected. (I do have a picture of the 20 pin connection if needed but it looks like its from a horror movie be warned).

My question is... Is there any other way to get the PC powering up eg sacrificing some of the functionality on the front panel (like the usb ports) and suing a different connection on the mobo?

Thanks in advance
They sell both "breakout" cables (1 connector to discrete) and extension cables for front panel connection. Either of those could be used to connect JUST the required pins, assuming they aren't too mangled. Google "front panel motherboard breakout cable" for examples.

That is USB 3.0 header (with bent pins). It has nothing to do with power button.
Either straighten bent pins or break them off completely (and manage without front USB 3.0 ports).

And you have power switch, power led, hdd led, reset switch cables connected incorrectly.
They are plugged into USB 2.0 headers. You can't just plug those connectors on random.
No wonder - you can't turn on your pc. It's shorting out.

Please read manual of your motherboard. This is absolutely necessary to correctly connect front panel connectors.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...AMING/E12192_STRIX_Z270E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
(page 1-18)

Last edited:
Reactions: dudio
Apologies for wasting time in my panic and anger at seeing the bent pins I didn't even notice he's removed the other cables!!!!
Also you have something connected to ROG_EXT header. Looks like USB 2.0 connector. It shouldn't be there.

It looks like all cables just have been connected on random (without any understanding of what goes where).
Double check every cable going to front panel.

Reactions: kanewolf
The pic is worth a thousand words.

The 20 pin connectors are easy to damage. The cables seem to be unusually stiff.
I did this once. To bypass the problem I bought an add in card which included a 20 pin connector and attached the front cable to that.
As a plus, I got more rear usb ports.

Your motherboard manual will have a description of the front panel header.
Orient the pins via the open space.
You need to connect the front panel cables to the front panel header.

Usually, they will have a label such as PWR,RST which are not polarity sensitive.
The led cables for power and hdd will have a plus or - on them.
If they do not, the common color black or white will be ground.
If you get them wrong, no damage will be done.