help: Bios is only legacy compatible?

austingman

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
so I just got a new HDD and removed my old one and installed this one. its a 4 TB seagate card. My PC only says it will use 2 TB becuase its mbr not gpt. I could not find any option in my bios options or windows recovery options saying UEFI and I assume its becuase the motherboard is old.
I really would love to use my whole 4 TB not 2 TB.. and I dont know what to do. please help with detailed explanations.

update: please note my top priority here is to be able to use all of my hard drive space

Solution

Well whats your goal here, to replace your old drive with the new one, or add the new drive and run both?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If your motherboard does not have a UEFI BIOS (pretty obvious when it is as it has a graphical user interface - usually) there is no switch to turn it on. Now you're adding this as a secondary drive? Or this is your new primary drive. because as a secondary drive, in Windows 10 you CAN set it as GPT and use the full 4 tb. As MBR you're limited to 2.2 tb, but in Windows after creating that initial 2tb partition, you can create the second partition.

studmoose

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

Question: If it's an older legacy BIOS, would it the hardware on the PC be capable of running WIN10?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes definitely, Win 10 is compatible with lots of older hardware. A board from like 2005 may not work, but anything in the last 7 or 8 years should be fine.

How about you share your hardware specs here. Also, as I asked, is this 4tb drive now becoming your primary drive?

austingman

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

ok so I replaced my old drive and am booting windows with this one. I guess I can use my old drive to boot, but some more questions.

1. do I have to remove windows from this one or can I just boot from the other one or what?

and 2. I dont know what the cables I plugged in to the hdd are called or what to buy. may you link me to the cables I need to buy to plug it back in?

austingman

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

also just for people to know. I bought this PC from ibuypower like 3 ears ago and I've upgraded to gtx 1060 and processor isn't awful (but still needs an upgrade soon). I just assume the motherboard or bios is old because it looks old when booting and says like 2005 and copyright 2000 and stuff.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well whats your goal here, to replace your old drive with the new one, or add the new drive and run both?

That doesn't mean the board is old, and in fact if its 3 years old it probably DOES have a UEFI BIOS. Can you find out exactly what your hardware is? We need all the specs, the model number from ibuypower, etc. You can download CPU-Z and run that and it should give you some of the info, if you can't find it.

Solution