Help Black screen, Pc Wont boot with ASUS EAH 4870 GPU

masemame

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Previously I sent my EAH 4870 for RMA but they couldn’t fix it and they sent me another EAH 4870. and now the new one still doesn’t work.
All the 3 LED (D1601, D1602, D1603) except D601 are lit ON at BOOT, which is normal.
Everything work fine without the GPU with the onboard graphics. i have tried with out the 6pin power cable plugged in to the GPU to get "You Have not connected one of your video card power connectors to the power supply" message but noting, just a black screen. Also tried to boot with out a RAM to get the Beep Error message but still nothing. Thought Both the GPU and The CPU Fan runs.
Any Idea?

Sounds like you either: A) Still have a broken video card. B) Have a bad PCI-E slot on your motherboard.

Did the manufacturer tell you they could not fix the old card? If so, then they've admitted it was actually broken in the first place (which is good for us in troubleshooting). And are you sure they sent back a new card? lol

Do you have another, older perhaps, PCI-E video card you can put in just to test that the slot on the board is good? If not, you probably need to go through their RMA again. :(

The third option could be that there's a Power Supply issue. But considering the manufacturer advised your old card was indeed bad, makes me think it's more likely a video card problem.

BTW: Make sure your video cables are connected properly. Hehe

masemame

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Ya they did say they couldn’t fix it, here is email snip “we were unable to repair your unit. Since we currently do not have your model (EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5/AR/A) in stock, I would like to offer an exchange/replacement to the next available model (EAH4870/2DI/1GD5).” And I told them that I want my original model and I think they got pissed. The new GPU isn’t mine tho is not new either it got some scratches on the ASUS Logo. After I declined the exchange, it only took them 2 days to send me the original model which “wasn’t in stock for the last few days”…
Like you said it wouldn’t be a PSU issue since it have worked for the last GPU and I don’t have other GPU to try the PCIE slot. The last thing I’ll do before RMA Again is find another PC and try the GPU in it, to be sure its not a bad PCI-E slot.
I don’t think video cable will do anything cuz the pc wont boot to begin with. It wont even get to the point that check if there is a RAM on the board…

I only mentioned the video cable in case you'd forgotten to hook it up to the video card after installing the card. Since you had obviously moved it to the onboard VGA output on the motherboard. :) It's easy to do.

I wonder what the actual difference between those two 4870 models are. Usually they would be required to replace your item with an equal or better item. But I've heard of people getting lesser cards as replacements before.

masemame

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
definetly its lesser card. EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 cooling system doesnt look that it will do the same job as the other and it dosne have TV out port and some other thing