Question HELP - Black Screen when installing GPU Drivers (5600XT)

MFT01

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Hi,

I have tried to update the drivers on my XFX 5600XT but whenever I try and update them it gets to 66% then the screen goes black and does nothing. When I press the restart button Windows starts to load, but then the loading circles freeze and I can't get on, so I have to go into the BIOS and load Windows from a USB.

I've had to reset my PC 10 times before writing this, and have tried everything. Updating BIOS, removing old drivers with DDU, disabling automatic Windows updates and it's still the exact same every time.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm beginning to regret trying to get into PC Gaming :(

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700
XFX 5600XT
16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
ASUS TUF mATX Gaming Plus AM4

1. Are you certain you have the correct BIOS for your card?
  2. Most XFX graphics cards feature a Dual BIOS switch, one for Performance and one for Quiet BIOS modes. Does yours?
If you card does have a Dual BIOS switch you will have 2 download options,

Performance BIOS - Right Default BIOS Switch position ‍ ‍
Quiet BIOS - Left alternate BIOS switch position

May 13, 2020
So I had the same thing happen to me. Received a Sapphire Pulse 5600XT yesterday and had the exact same problem that you described. It would get to 64%, then black screen and never come back. After two hours of setting the pc back to a restore point and trying to reinstall Adrenaline 20.2, I tried a different monitor on a whim. I was met with a screen saying the driver was installed successfully. My son's monitor is a MSI MAG27, and for some reason the drivers weren't working though the HDMI port that it was plugged into. I'm sure someone may have an explanation for this (I don't). So I changed to a different HDMI port on his monitor and it worked.
Kind of annoyed that I spent hours trying to reinstall something that was installing just fine. I see this post is a little old, hope you worked it out.

Reactions: cam1111111112