Help Blue Screen

G

Help, I'm desperate. I get an error message occassionally on reboot and definately on abnormal shutdown restart. I have exhausted all other newsgroups and I'm ready to give up on ME, except that I like the speed of startup etc...

Here's what I get

An error has occurred.
To continue Press Enter to return to windows or press ctrl alt del to restart. If you do this you will lose any unsaved information.

Filename VCOMM (05) + 00000AD9 Error: OE:0028:C02

So I press enter and I get the following message

An error has occurred.
To continue Press Enter to return to windows or press ctrl alt del to restart. If you do this you will lose any unsaved information.
Filename VMM (01) +00009617 Error : 0E:0028:C000A617

At this point rebooting does no good. I have to boot into safe mode and do a system restore. Now I'm pretty compentant when it comes to PC's. If anybody has any suggestion as to what these error message pertain to, I would be eternally grateful. I am running the following for hardware

PIII450Mhz
256mb Ram
Microstar BX Master motherboard
Toshiba CD-ROM
Plextor 12x10x32 burner
Acer 10x8x32 burner
3Com Nic card
Diamond Viper V770 non ultra video
Wacom Artpad II with latest drivers
MS mouse
External USR modem
TV tuner card.

All worked fine under Windows 98SE

Thanks in advance for any input.

Phil

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I get this every now and then with me also! A format and reinstall usally does the trick.

It really sucks, I know!

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
In his post he said he has done the system restore. I had done that many times and it just comes back a week later...Thank god I didn't buy that POS OS!

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I recommend moving to Windows 2000. OSes based on the Win9x kernel (this includes Win95, Win98, Win98SE, and WinME) are inherently unstable due to the massive amounts of real mode 16-bit code still in use. These operating systems also perform more poorly than Windows 2000 due to this 16-bit code.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
While I agree that windows 2000 is much more stable, it is only a good idea to have on your machine if you don't play any games. Windows 2000 and games just don't work too well.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I have never had a problem running any game on Windows 2000. In addition, with the newer processor you actually get better performance on Windows 2000 than Windows 9x/ME.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just from personal experience, I have noticed that winME has better performance in games over win2000. My system is set up with dual boot, and on each I have installed Diablo II, Unreal Tournament, and Starcraft. All three run better in WinME. When I say better, I mean smoother and I can run them at higher resolutions(just in UT). I am currently running a 1.4 P4 on an Asus P4T.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
What video card are you running? What drivers are you running? How much memory do you have and is it PC800? Do you have SP1 and all of the compatibility patches (available through windowsupdate.microsoft.com)?

-Raystonn

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am running an Asus v7700 pure. Using Nvidias latest released drivers. I have 256 MB of Samsung PC-800 ECC memory. And yes I have SP1 installed.

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
Right. Once the Windows 2000 drivers for components such as the Video, HDD Controller etc. are optimized as well as the Win9x ones are, I'm sure the performance will improve in Win2k. All the games I play such as Q3A, AoK, Starcraft, etc. Seem to run fine.
I would definately recommend Win2k. And if you dislike Win2k's long startup time, I'd suggest you just leave your PC on 24/7 (wouldn't recommend this on a 9x-based OS tho). It is better for your PC to stay on 24/7 andyway.

--Fltsimbuff

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Just for kicks you might want to try the leaked Detonator 12 drivers.

-Raystonn

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I have never had a problem running any game on Windows 2000. In addition, with the newer processor you actually get better performance on Windows 2000 than Windows 9x/ME.
Errr...Soul Reaver. Works great in Win98, but the audio only half-works in Win2K. Latest patches, on an SBLive! with LiveWare 3. Have tried default Win2K driver to no avail.

Vampire: The Masquerade. Install never completes in Win2K (freezes after the splash screen, and Task Manager reports an error trying to kill the process), but works flawlessly in Win98.

Most games still work fine though, and I'm willing to give up a thing or two for the stability Win2K offers over Win98.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

"And if you dislike Win2k's long startup time, I'd suggest you just leave your PC on 24/7 (wouldn't recommend this on a 9x-based OS tho). It is better for your PC to stay on 24/7 andyway."

If you get your pc tp be ACPI compliant, the suspend mode (STR, suspend to ram) of win2k works great !! All fans, everything is off.. but the pc goes from 0 to operational in just a few seconds.. !! hardly more time than is required for my 19" monitor to warm up and produce an image.

G

Check out NTCompatible.com. Click games on the right side menu, select V, and scroll down to Vampire and you'll find several suggestions on how to make it work under W2K. They don't have anything about Soul Reaver though.

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
Maybe.... But that is still not good for the components in your system such as the HDD, and the P/S. I just leave mine running 24/7, for the Sake of my 7200rpm 40GB Drive...

--Fltsimbuff

TRENDING THREADS