• intel i7 - 4770 processor, with the stock cooler/heat sink
  • intel DB85FL motherboard
  • 8 GB of DDR3 RAM from Crucial
  • Seagate SKYHAWKS 1TB HDD, no SSD
  • Zebronics 450 watt power supply
  • and a nvidia GTX 1050ti

The problem:
Boot loops without POST.

Almost a week ago my PC started to give out random BSODs every now and then, when a video game was running. I thought maybe extra RAM was required, so I placed an order. But then the computer started to crash more frequently while running lesser loads. (Casual browsing twitter, YT, twitch, discord, and some light VS code. Even android studio used to run without crashes. Sounds like a lot now that I type it out, but I had no problems before). The crashes were followed by a boot loop, where the PC lights up, fans spin then turns off almost immediately. This goes on for a while and only sometimes I get a POST error. I hit “N”, then it usually restarted a couple of times before booting up into WIndows 10.

I checked the reliability monitor, and one of the errors from every day of the week since the BSOD stared to show up, read “Windows 10 failed to shutdown properly”, even when I had hit shutdown. I thought maybe an OS re-installation could fix it, so I backed up my data and set out to reinstall the OS yesterday.

I managed to installed pop_os! [Latest version] since I already had created an image beforehand on a USB drive. The HDD was formatted during the installation process. The PC did go into a loop once during the first try, but it managed to install and run normally during the second run. After a while, I tried shutting it down, but it went to a restart loop. I was already tired and frustrated, so I pulled the plug out, and figured I will deal with it today.

I am running into the same boot loop with no POST problems once again today.

I replaced the PSU [among other things, please check the list below], all the effort was useless since I’m, facing the same problem, and rarely if the OS tries to boot up normally, I run into a black login screen. I did manage to run the OS off the USB drive, but not without looping for several times.

Also, when the PC was working normally, the CrystalDiskInfo application displayed the status “Good” for the Hard drive.

I ran into this issue of BSODs and boot loops at the beginning of the year, I formatted and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, and everything was normal for a while.

I tried the following:
  • Cleaned the PC.
  • Reseat the RAM stick [i have only one], I had no beeps.
  • Ran the computer with only the CPU, HDD and the PSU. I heard three beeps, which I believe indicated the missing RAM [I’m not sure, please let me know if I’m wrong here]
  • Ran the computer without any external USB connections.
  • Checked the seating of the cooler. [Seated normally]
  • Changed the SATA cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard
  • I bought a brand new PSU, but still facing the same issues.
  • Reset the BIOS to default settings also did not help.
  • I finally tried to reset the bios by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery, and it has not helped.
  • Also, like I mentioned before, formatted and installed a different OS, did not help.

I’m wondering if I should just give up and get a new PC, but with the pandemic going on I am not sure I can get one in time for my projects and assignments. Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

Tdk242

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Thank you for your quick response. Hopefully, the new RAM stick solves the issue, if not I‘d be lost. I will update the thread after I try booting with it, once it arrives.

alright I tried booting with a new RAM stick, i’m facing the same problem. I booted with both of the RAM sticks installed and with the HDD disconnected, and did manage to boot into the OS running off the USB drive. I rebooted just to make sure if it was really the HDD failing, but I still am facing boot loops. So I really dont know what to do