[SOLVED] HELP! Boot ssd died, now what?

tobethepope

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Hello all.
I came back to my pc to find the screen telling me to connect a boot drive. My ssd which primarily just holds Windows 10 is not being recognised anymore in bios even when switching sata ports and the sata cable. My guess is the ssd has died. What do I do now? Is it possible the ssd was too full? As far as I know this shouldn't be a problem. The ssd is from 2013. What now? I have another HDD and nvme ssd connected holding all my important data. It is important to me to also be able to get the data back from my nvme. I do not have a Windows 10 cd as it was a free upgrade from Windows 8.
My pc specs are:
I7 6700K cpu
MSI z170a tomahawk motherboard
Gtx 1070 gpu
The ssd in question is a 60gb Kingston
The other storage drives are 1tb Seagate Barracuda HDD and 1tb crucial p1 nvme ssd.

Please help, thank you.

Solution
My guess is the ssd has died. What do I do now?
Did this happen after you connected nvme drive?
Using drive in M.2 slot disables sata ports SATA5,SATA6. You have to connect your sata ssd to a different sata port.

If it's still dead, then obtain windows installation media. You can create it on another pc (8GB USB flash drive necessary).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Install windows on another storage device, where enough free space is available.

USAFRet

Titan
It didn't "die" from being too full.
It died, because sometimes electronic devices die. You've had 7 years with it.

What to do now?
Buy a new drive.
What I would do is buy a new drive, and recover the Image from my nightly backup routine.
Zero data loss. Up and running again in about an hour.

What you need to do is, but a new drive, and do a full OS reinstall. This, of course, requires a reinstall of all your applications as well.

The personal data on your other drives is fine.
(but you really need to think about backups for that as well.)

My guess is the ssd has died. What do I do now?
Did this happen after you connected nvme drive?
Using drive in M.2 slot disables sata ports SATA5,SATA6. You have to connect your sata ssd to a different sata port.

If it's still dead, then obtain windows installation media. You can create it on another pc (8GB USB flash drive necessary).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Install windows on another storage device, where enough free space is available.

Solution

tobethepope

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Well, you should have another drive to hold backups for "all my important data ". What would you do if that NVMe were to die RIGHT NOW?
I do! I actuallz have a copy of all the important data (pictures and videos) on the HDD and on an external hdd. However i have done a few changes and more importantly my ssd failed last night right after i finished editing and rendering a new video. So things like that are what I really need. Is it possible for overclocked gpu and cpu to cause the ssd to die?

USAFRet

Titan
I do! I actuallz have a copy of all the important data (pictures and videos) on the HDD and on an external hdd. However i have done a few changes and more importantly my ssd failed last night right after i finished editing and rendering a new video. So things like that are what I really need. Is it possible for overclocked gpu and cpu to cause the ssd to die?
The overclock will not kill your SSD.

In the context of your NVMe...whatever is currently on there will be blown away during a new OS install.
Whether you have it backed up or not.

tobethepope

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
The overclock will not kill your SSD.

In the context of your NVMe...whatever is currently on there will be blown away during a new OS install.
Whether you have it backed up or not.
Do you mean if I would install the OS on the nvme or also if I would install it on a new drive? I was hoping if I install on a new drive the data on the nvme would be safe?

USAFRet

Titan
Do you mean if I would install the OS on the nvme or also if I would install it on a new drive? I was hoping if I install on a new drive the data on the nvme would be safe?
Installing on that NVMe:
If you are very very careful, you might be able to manipulate the partitions and data, so that you can install a new OS instance on the newly blank space.
I would not recommend this, without a known good backup of whatever is on that drive. Mistakes are easy to make.
And if you DO have a known good backup, there is little reason to go through that partition size manipulation.

Installing on a whole other physical drive is no problem. What is on the NVMe or HDD is not touched. Those drives are disconnected and offline during that install process.

TRENDING THREADS