Question *HELP!* Boot Up Monitor Errors

May 13, 2019
Ok, firstly, thanks for reading and (maybe) helping! Specs below...

ASUS PRIME Z390-A mobo
Intel i7 9700K
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Dual R2 8GB Graphics Card
250GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS - M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - ST2000DM008
700W - Aerocool Integrator 80+ Cert Power Supply
be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Air Cooler - BK009
2 x HP27fw monitors - Both monitors are driven from ports 1 and 2 of the GPU and NOT via the onboard mobo graphics.

This is a build I have done recently myself (built machines before so not a complete newbie). The only prgrammes installed presently are gaming related so steam, discord, OBS.

The problem I am having is as follows - Upon boot up, the machine sometimes boots the system up onto monitor 2 and at the wrong resolution. Once booted up if I open up display settings, it doesn't recognise the second monitor. Whilst it is booted up on the wrong monitor, things dont work as they should. The machine is sluggish and the start bar is costantly loading something (blue circle spinning).

To rectify, I have to shutdown or restart the machine until eventually, it will boot up correctly across the two monitors. Sometimes it boots up first time no hassle, other times it can take one restart, occasionally it can take 7/8/9/10 restarts to boot up correctly.

In regards to errors -

- I am ocassioanlly getting a blue screen with "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". With this error it gives a message of something like "we are just collecting information" but the percentage bar remains at 0%. I have left it for hours but it is still at 0%!

- When it boots up on the wrong monitor at the wrong resolution, when I try and open the settings folder to see if it will recognise the 2nd monitor, I get - ms-settings:display "this file dopesnt not have an app associated with it for performing this action" This happens maybe 1 in 3 times when trying to access the settings folder when it boots up on the wrong monitor.

What have I done -

- So have been through ALL system drivers, including GPU and display drivers (what feels like 100 times) and checked for updates. Windows says I am running the best available. I have installed the latest GPU drivers manually via the GeForce experience application.

- I have run a system scan via cmd and that returned no corruptions either.

When it does eventually boot up correctly across the two monitors, everything works as it should!

Apologies for the long post but in my limited experience of trouble shooting the more information the better! Any help is incredibly appreciated!

Thanks again.

alyttleton.