Question HELP! Broke tablet screen. Can I "Plug & Play" a USB-C to HDMI adapter?

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Ugh! Last night I accidentally smashed my Win10 tablet's touch screen so badly the entire screen is now useless (still boots, but you can't see anything but solid color & artifacts.)

I need to connect it to a monitor long enough to copy some data on it to a cloud, but it doesn't have any video ports, just one USB-C port and two USB 2.0 ports.

Is there a Plug & Play "USB-C to HDMI" adapter that doesn't require me to install a driver, run software, or set ANYTHING else in advance to use?

TIA

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I just discovered (I never really looked) that there is a "micro-HDMI" port on the side of the tablet.

I never noticed it before (or forgot) and it's not mentioned at the above link (but is in the manual.) So tomorrow I'll buy a "Micro-HDMI to HDMI Adapter for $5" and pray it works.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
If the tablet is fairly recent model, that USB-C port may support video output if it is also a Thunderbolt 3/4 port, but I'm not certain that the Atom CPU or it's iGPU has support for that feature....

If it does, you can get a USB-C - to- HDMI adapter for about $25-30. Otherwise the micro to HDMI adapter should work also. It just depends on what your CPU/iGPU supports :D

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Late follow-up (for whomever might need it in the future.)

The micro-HDMI port I discovered on the tablet worked perfectly!

Found a cheap Micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter for $5. Just plugged it into the tablet, my monitor into the adapter, turned on the tablet and everything was mirrored to my monitor. No drivers or added software needed.

Whew!

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor