Question Help! Broken Headphone Jack Plug Stuck in the Audio Port.

Strider90

Prominent
Oct 29, 2019
First off, forgive me if that's not the best category for this thread.
Now I already tried to pull it out using glue, thrice. It didn't work and possibly made it worse. So I was wondering if it's possible to replace this entire component which I don't even know what to call. Any tips?
HM6h9Qm.jpg

tk4Xmgl.jpg

It' a front panel.

You can remove the board to see if the audio port has a hole in the rear so that you can push the stuck piece of headphone out.

Or you just remove the audio cable from the motherboard and use the rear audio connector instead.

Strider90

Prominent
Oct 29, 2019
It' a front panel.

You can remove the board to see if the audio port has a hole in the rear so that you can push the stuck piece of headphone out.

Or you just remove the audio cable from the motherboard and use the rear audio connector instead.

I already checked underneath it. Impossible to push it out.

If you're willing to risk damage to the front panel, this is kind of what I'd try if it stood in my garage.

I'd find a very small bor from the electric drill, and also a screw that have slightly larger diameter (e.g. 1mm bor and 1.5 -2 mm diameter screw). Then you can use the screw to pull out the remaining plug.

Reactions: Strider90

Strider90

Prominent
Oct 29, 2019
If you're willing to risk damage to the front panel, this is kind of what I'd try if it stood in my garage.

I'd find a very small bor from the electric drill, and also a screw that have slightly larger diameter (e.g. 1mm bor and 1.5 -2 mm diameter screw). Then you can use the screw to pull out the remaining plug.
I would definitely cause damage if I tried that.

Strider90

Prominent
Oct 29, 2019
It' a front panel.

I'm currently trying what you suggested and I see that the rear port is covered by this small metal case. Is this something I can just pull out?
SoWxzhD.jpg

I'm currently trying what you suggested and I see that the rear port is covered by this small metal case. Is this something I can just pull out?
Don't do anything to the rear port.
The front port, the whole panel, has a bunch of cables that connect to several parts of your motherboard, for usb audio in and out, disconnect those cables but only the audio ones, this way your system will automatically switch to using the port on the back of your system.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Is this an on mother board port? If so there is no cable to unplug. Only option is to extract, and that glue isn't going to help that process. I suggest a modified dental pick or screw. You can purchase them online.

There absolutely has to be something on the motherboard. That audio jack doesn't communicate wirelessly (e.g. Bluetooth, Wifi). There has to be a cable from the front panel to the motherboard somewhere.

Can you please tell us your motherboard model? I'll look for a manual online and find the motherboard audio header for you.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016

I would definitely cause damage if I tried that.

I'd suggest finding a handy person to do that for you. It's not terribly difficult, as long as you know how to use a power drill carefully. It's possible that someone at Home Depot will do it for you. Call up Home Depot, describe what you need, and ask if someone there can help you.

Also, there's not a great risk of any damage to the computer. The absolute worst case is that they ruin your audio port - which is already ruined anyway! But there's no risk of damaging your computer, since this front audio jack is nowhere near your motherboard or any other components. This front audio jack is part of your chassis, not the computer itself, so the risk of any meaningful damage is relatively low.

I'd suggest finding a handy person to do that for you. It's not terribly difficult, as long as you know how to use a power drill carefully. It's possible that someone at Home Depot will do it for you. Call up Home Depot, describe what you need, and ask if someone there can help you.

Also, there's not a great risk of any damage to the computer. The absolute worst case is that they ruin your audio port - which is already ruined anyway! But there's no risk of damaging your computer, since this front audio jack is nowhere near your motherboard or any other components. This front audio jack is part of your chassis, not the computer itself, so the risk of any meaningful damage is relatively low.
Before giving anybody any money he should look up how much a replacement front panel costs, or even the whole case might be as cheap as what a person might charge him, if it's a cheapish case.

Strider90

Prominent
Oct 29, 2019
Don't do anything to the rear port.
The front port, the whole panel, has a bunch of cables that connect to several parts of your motherboard, for usb audio in and out, disconnect those cables but only the audio ones, this way your system will automatically switch to using the port on the back of your system.
so this is why my rear audio port doesn't work?

Strider90

Prominent
Oct 29, 2019
You should still be able to go into audio settings and select the rear port manually no matter what the front one does and if it's connected or not.
I just said what I did because the metal casing you showed looks like like the ones that are on the motherboard for the back i/o.
That's something I already tried. I followed different tutorials on youtube but nothing solved it.