Build Advice Help building $1500 gaming computer please!

AceOnePocket

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Hello, I am very excited to finally have the money to build the first gaming computer I have had in years!I am currently working with around a $1500 budget but could spend as much as 2k if it is worth it. I would like a desktop capable of playing AAA games with a decent frame per second and preferably with components that will last me for a few years before being out dated. I have done some research and found a mid range build from new egg. The recommended parts are:
26565641233032.jpeg

I am planning on building something close to the mid-range shown on the right. I would like to get a better power supply, a better monitor, and possibly a nvme m.2 SSD to put the games on. Is this a smart build for around $1500? Is there another build for this price that would be better? Thank you very much in advance for you time.

Is this a decent build for the money or anything else that I could change?

DSzymborski

Titan
It's hard to say - the resolution is way too small for me to read and I don't even need a prescription for glasses!

Ideal builds generally vary because of the effect of sales and overall price changes/product availability. Also, you really want to wait a few to see the Ryzen 3000 reviews. Even if you decided not to go with a Ryzen, it's going to force some more downward pressure on Intel prices (they're already reportedly planning 15% price cuts).

Reactions: AceOnePocket

AceOnePocket

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry about the image! It reads:
MOB: Asus ROG 5trix B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzon 2700
Ram: 2x8 G.Skill aegis 3000 MT/s

case, power supply, and if I should just go with the cheaper HD or also get the m.2 ssd? How long would the wait be on the price drop you mentioned above?

Jul 2, 2019
If I was building a budget gaming PC again, this is how I'd go about it and this is the order I would make my decisions:

GPU - depends on what games you play and what monitor you have (or wish to get). I play FPS at higher frame rates (144Hz) on a 1080 resolution monitor. My 1070 GPU is great for this. However, if I was to move to 1440 resolution at 144Hz, I would have to upgrade to a 1080ti or 2080 GPU.
CPU - min 4 cores, min 4 GHz. Don't worry about hyperthreading capability. I use the 7700K overclocked to 5GHz with hyperthreading off, which works like a charm for gaming.
RAM - 16 or 32Gb DDR4, no more than 3200 speed (diminishing returns after this) but don't get too hung up if you can only afford 2400+
Motherboard - don't overspend here. Make sure it is compatible with your processor and RAM requirements, and other features such as Bluetooth and wireless capabilities (only if required)
Storage - use standard SSD 2.5 drives for all software (windows, games etc.). M2 SATA is the same performance but more expensive as it's smaller form factor. M2 NVME (different from M2 SATA) is even more expensive and gives performance gains when writing large files, but not for loading and playing games. Only get a spinning HDD if you have lots of video to store.
PSU - get a high quality 80+ Gold Rated PSU. Use a PC power calculator to find out power requirements but 550-650W should be more than enough for an average build these days.
Chassis - I use a mid tower which is great for my setup (no custom loop) and airflow is great. Only go for smaller chassis is you require it as cooling will take a hit.
Cooling - Unless you are overclocking, a standard air cooler should be fine. If you intend to overclock, Noctua air coolers are very effective at a great price, but are physically huge. Be sure to check measurements with your chassis. AIO coolers do not give you better performance, just slightly less noise and can be more suitable for smaller chassis. Go for air with your budget.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: AceOnePocket