Help Building 9900k Rig - Last one I built was 2012. I'm rusty......

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
My last rig was the 3770k and I built it with all the good stuff back in 2012. Still runs great, but I'm itching to building something new.

I'm looking for guidance on building a solid rig, but without destroying my budget. Would appreciate advice on a few points.

I feel very confident that I can build everything, but I'm unsure about a few areas.

I know I want the 9900k, but I'm not sure about the motherboard. There are so many good ones now. I'm not sure what the cheapest and most efficient cooling method would be. I want some decent ram. Not sure if anyone has a preference. I need a quiet case that gets great cooling. I usually go with ANTEC, but that was 2012 when I built my last rig. Is ANTEC still one of the best ways to go, or is there a much better option?

I have the power supply @750w. I assume that's ok? Thoughts.....
9900k processor.
Hardrives will be one of those M.2's. Probably 1 or 2 terabytes. Along with some secondary drives.
Video Card will be the 1080ti 11gig.

Everything else is kind of up in the air for the moment. I went to AMAZON to pre-order my 9900k and realized I have no idea what motherboard to get. That's one of the most concerning things I suppose.

Anyway, hopefully, you guys see where I'm going with this. Would love some feedback, as this is my Christmas present to me hahaha.

And while we're at it.....a great 24 inch or better 4k gaming monitor? Thoughts....

Solution
A few general points:

What is your budget?

Right now the 9900K is ridiculously overpriced, unless you NEED to build NOW, I'll advise you to hold off until these beasts get reviewed, released and their prices drop to something more reasonable.

As has been said, consider the monitor choice very carefully, it's the part you will spend hours looking at and will probably keep the longest.
A fast 2K display of <>27" size gives sharp images and good immersion, while a curved widescreen offers more immersion without too much FPS penalty. A 4K display offers the sharpest images but inevitably the higher rez will hammer the framerate.

Personally I'd go for a single 1 or 2Tb 2.5" SATA SSD and skip a spinning disc altogether, most...

WildCard999

Titan
If within budget I'd go....

Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Z390 MB (I like Asus/Gigabyte & Asrock)
2x8gb DDR4 @2666+ (or higher speed depending on price)
Crucial MX300 500gb M.2 SSD + 2TB HDD
GTX 1080 ti 11gb (Whichever is cheapest)
NZXT H500
EVGA G3 650W PSU

As for the monitor what type of games do you play?

For FPS I'd look at a 1440P/144hz monitor and for more casual gaming then a 4K/60hz. There's also a good mid option of 3440x1440P/75hz+/IPS, this will give you good eye candy in your games, better immersion & still a good refresh rate for shooters.

elimartin.golden

Reputable
Oct 2, 2018

One thing you didn't mention is size of monitor, he asked about a 24. I would go with 27" at minimum, but if you are springing for 9900k/1080ti, you can probably afford to go with one of the nice 35" curved displays. Your monitor is the part that you actually look at all day, so make it count :)

Reviews are not yet out, but I suspect that for a top end build, you should go for one of the new Z390 based motherboards.
I suspect that the power delivery for the 9900K will be better.

Cases are a personal thing. Early on, I liked Antec also.
Today, there are many other good choices.
My requirements would be at least tow 120/140mm front intakes with a washable filter.
Whatever comes in will exit somewhere taking component heat with it.
The big benefit of such a positive pressure setup is that your parts will stay cleaner.

I would want 160mm or better available for a good dual tower air cleaner like the noctua NH-D15s.
It will cool just as well as a liquid cooler, be cheaper, quieter, easier to install, more reliable and will not leak.

Lastly for a case, bust your budget if needed for a case that you love. It will be with you for a long time.

750w is plenty for anything.

I would favor a single ssd for everything. Use a HDD only for bulk storage such as videos.
The pcie drives benchmark well in sequential performance, but in reality most activity will be small random I/O and that is not much different from sata drives.
Still for a max budget, go for a Samsung 970 evo. You get better endurance with the PRO version, but with large ssd devices, they will be long obsolete before they ever wear out.

As to monitors, it perhaps depends on the type of games you play.
If you are a fast action gamer, a 27" 1440P monitor with g.sync might be right.

If you are more of a mmo/sims/strategy gamer, then a larger 4k monitor would be more immersive. think 35-45" perhaps with a curve.

WildCard999

Titan

Well yea, 27" for 1440P/4K or 34" for 21:9.

A few general points:

What is your budget?

Right now the 9900K is ridiculously overpriced, unless you NEED to build NOW, I'll advise you to hold off until these beasts get reviewed, released and their prices drop to something more reasonable.

As has been said, consider the monitor choice very carefully, it's the part you will spend hours looking at and will probably keep the longest.
A fast 2K display of <>27" size gives sharp images and good immersion, while a curved widescreen offers more immersion without too much FPS penalty. A 4K display offers the sharpest images but inevitably the higher rez will hammer the framerate.

Personally I'd go for a single 1 or 2Tb 2.5" SATA SSD and skip a spinning disc altogether, most entertainment media and all your photos ETC can be stored on the Cloud through services like Google Drive or Microsofts One Drive ( other providers are available ;) ). making a spinning disc largely irrelevant for anything other than backup or archival purposes, in which case I'd use a USB external drive.

On the GPU side I'd also seriously consider the new RTX 2xxx cards rather than the excellent but now ' obsolete ' GTX 1080Ti, but, like the 9900K they're seriously overpriced ATM-if you can find one-which may give you another reason to hold fire until later when things settle down.

Solution