HELP - Building a PC for the 1st time!!

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Hi

I've just embarked on building my first PC and already I've hit a major problem.

I'm building the machine in a Supermicro SC760 server case, and having fitted the CPU and ram to the board, connected fans and installed the board in the box, I then connected the front panel connectors and the powersupply.

However, when I connect power to the powersupply absolutely nothing happens. I'm pretty sure that with the last Supermicro box I had the fan on the powersupply would always come on for a couple of seconds whenever power was connected. Does this mean the powersupply is kaput or could it simply be that one of my fron panel connections isn't correct.

Any help would be really really appreciated on this - I'm a PC building pygmy and this is scaring the s***t out of me.

Many thanks in advance.

Jules

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Uh, before you go absolutely wacko because the fan didn't turn on when you plugged it in, you might want to try a couple things:

1. TRY TURNING ON YOUR COMPUTER!! FORGET ABOUT THE DAMN FAN

2. TURN THE POWERSUPLY ON

sorry for caps but i needed some emphasis

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
I appreciate your help, but like I said, the powersupply fan should come on whether the computer (I presume you mean the front panel switch) is turned on or not. I have tried turning it on at the front, but believe it or not I don't have the right manual for my motherboard, so I'm having to feel my way with the front panel connectors.

Do you think it could just be because the front panel power connector isn't setup right?

Thanks again.

Jules

broggiemonster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The powersupply will normally turn on at the powersupply switch only if it is an AT power supply. Atx power supplies require the case powerswitch to be connected up through the motherboard properly to work.

Ray

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure the connector from the PS is properly on the MB. Make sure the wires that come from the from switch in the front are on the mobo properly, sometimes you have to reverse the wires. And finally, I thing Griz means to switch on the PS in the back. Most PSs have a little black switch on the back of them.

I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
I don't see a "little black switch" on the PSU so I guess we're talking at cross purposes. I'll try and track down a manual and just make 100% certain the front panel power switch is connected properly - I guess it;'s either that or the PSU's dead.

Thanks anyway.

Jules

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah I was talking about the switch on the power supply. it's on the BACK of the powersupply, can be seen on the back of the computer.

i think this thread is getting nowhere due to miss-communication

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Damnit - I cannot find a manual for a Gigabyte GA-7DX (that's what the board is). Micron PC have a technical reference document for one of their systems that uses it but there's no details on the front panel header connections.

I even called Gigabyte in the US (I'm in the UK) and they don't have a bloody manual.

Anyone have any ideas where else I might try - or the best way of working out which pins are likely to be the front panel power switch?!

Thanks

Jules

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A guy at work has this board and it is working flawlessly. I could check out his setup but he won't be there until Monday and it doesn't sound like you can wait that long.
But if your crisis is still ongoing then, I will post what I find out.

I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Grizely I appreciate what you're saying. PLease believe me - there is no on/off switch on the power supply (on the back of the computer). There is a buzzer reset button (yes I've pressed that a few times!) and a voltage selector and no power switch. I know most PSU's have them (my other PC does) but I promise this Supermicro thing doesn't.

That's the only reason this thread is going nowhere. I really appreciate all the help, honestly i do and I really need it, but please give me a break on the little black switch - it ain't there!

(Anyone else with a Supermicro box or PSU want to back me up here?!)

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Thanks for the offer - I guess it may come down to that. I'll battle on over the weekend though because I really need to get things up and running for Monday.

Thanks again.