Help Building my First PC

Sep 27, 2018
I'm looking at purchasing either the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E or the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero, and both support DDR4 RAM at up to 3866MHz and 4133 MHz respectively. I have also noticed that the CPU I'm going to use, an i7-6700, supports only DDR4 1866/2133 MHz.

I know that people use faster RAM with 6th and 7th gen i7s, but I'm not the most familiar with the subject, or with overclocking. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to use faster RAM, and if so, how? Will the CPU handle RAM of speeds over 2133 MHz, or will they be limited?

Thank you for your help!
(Which board is better, and which RAM is the best overall?)

Solution
Official support for the CPU is lower, but you can run faster memory pretty well with a Z-series motherboard. i7 will handle it. Typically though, 3200MHz is about as fast as you want to go without running in to very high memory cost as well as the system actually handling faster RAM than that.

Now, there is NO POINT in buying a 6th or 7th-gen CPU if you also have to buy the motherboard. 8th-gen has a core count increase for no extra cost. With 8th-gen you will need a 300 series motherboard, so a Z370.
Official support for the CPU is lower, but you can run faster memory pretty well with a Z-series motherboard. i7 will handle it. Typically though, 3200MHz is about as fast as you want to go without running in to very high memory cost as well as the system actually handling faster RAM than that.

Now, there is NO POINT in buying a 6th or 7th-gen CPU if you also have to buy the motherboard. 8th-gen has a core count increase for no extra cost. With 8th-gen you will need a 300 series motherboard, so a Z370.

Solution
Sep 27, 2018

How does that work? Do I have to set things up in BIOS, or is it just plug-and-play?

I am getting the CPU for very cheap, but all I needed left to get was the motherboard.

Sep 27, 2018

Ok, thank you very much for your help! And do you have a preference on which RAM or motherboard is the best?