vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hi guys!

I am currently in the process of building a new PC. I have not bought any parts yet, as I have decided to wait for new GPU's to come out as I think it would be a crime to buy 2000 series when 3000 series is only a few months away!

For you reference, I am thinking of getting a relatively high-end system with likely the upcoming RTX 3080 or 2080S equivalent.

However, there is one component I am having trouble deciding on. And that is the CPU. I really do not want to make the wrong decision here as I want this PC to last me a while. I am not sure whether to go Intel or AMD.

I know that Intel is best for gaming - which would be the primary use case of this PC along with some light productivity but nothing like intense video editing etc. I do want to get into some VR gaming as well as just regular gaming at 1440p or 4K depending on what monitor I go for, but definitely higher than 1080p.

If I went AMD I would take advantage of PCIE 4.0 for my boot drive but is not really a deal breaker for me.

The main thing that has me unsure as of what to do is that people are saying that the 10700K is a waste of money and you may as well go for the 10900K. Then, the 10900K does not appeal to me because the 3900x is so cheap (currently slightly less than the 10700K!!) - but then people say that you should only go AMD if you are doing things other than gaming. So I am currently totally unsure as to what platform to choose as I see the pros and cons for both, so please tell me your recommendations!! Also if I were to go AMD would you guys suggest X570 or B550?

Apologies for my rant, and thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

Vainsy

Solution
Hi guys!

I am currently in the process of building a new PC. I have not bought any parts yet, as I have decided to wait for new GPU's to come out as I think it would be a crime to buy 2000 series when 3000 series is only a few months away!

For you reference, I am thinking of getting a relatively high-end system with likely the upcoming RTX 3080 or 2080S equivalent.

However, there is one component I am having trouble deciding on. And that is the CPU. I really do not want to make the wrong decision here as I want this PC to last me a while. I am not sure whether to go Intel or AMD.

I know that Intel is best for gaming - which would be the primary use case of this PC along with some light productivity but nothing like intense video...
Hi guys!

I know that Intel is best for gaming - which would be the primary use case of this PC along with some light productivity but nothing like intense video editing etc. I do want to get into some VR gaming as well as just regular gaming at 1440p or 4K depending on what monitor I go for, but definitely higher than 1080p.

If I went AMD I would take advantage of PCIE 4.0 for my boot drive but is not really a deal breaker for me.

The main thing that has me unsure as of what to do is that people are saying that the 10700K is a waste of money and you may as well go for the 10900K. Then, the 10900K does not appeal to me because the 3900x is so cheap (currently slightly less than the 10700K!!) - but then people say that you should only go AMD if you are doing things other than gaming. So I am currently totally unsure as to what platform to choose as I see the pros and cons for both, so please tell me your recommendations!! Also if I were to go AMD would you guys suggest X570 or B550?

Apologies for my rant, and thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

Vainsy
AMD Ryzen 4000 series are only few month away too. Some b450 and x470 MBs will also be able to run it otherwise b550 for lower end and x570 for high end Ryzen would be better. AMD is also coming out with improved Ryzen (XT) soon. By all indications, Ryzen will still be better deal, specially in higher segment.
3900x/3950x are bound to drop in price and those are not naive CPUs by any stretch..
That's my plan for next year, one of those 2 on my MB. Should be sufficient for few years.

Solution