[SOLVED] Help building new system no power

kav1257

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
Hi guys,

So I attempted to build my system today.

First issue I've connected the power supply 24pin and 8pin to the motherboard. No power no fans on no led nothing.

Secondly the motherboards small connectors which connect with the case power button i have tried to read the manual im sure im doing it all correctly. Tried numerous times to change the pins up down left right. Still nothing the system doesn't turn on or make a noise.
Also to note I accidentally got a small tiny amount of thermal paste on the cpu gold pins would this be an issue. I really hope not :((

Please can someone advise me on how to power the system on or something I may be doing wrong

Motherboad: Asus Rog Strix B550
CPU: AMD ryzen 12 3900x
Power supply: Asus Rog Strix 850w Gold modular
CPU cooler: Asus Rog Strix 360 AIO cooler.

Thanks all.

kav1257

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
Hi thanks for the speedy reply,

Oh no thats not good, I might try to remove the CPU and wipe down as much thermal paste as I can. Any recommendation or advise on removing thermal paste from the gold pins?
Its a tiny small amount on just the side of the gold pins. Nothing in the centre or all over. The CPU cooler got stuck on the motherboard and came off attached to the cooler I then tried to separate the two and in the process my finger got a tiny bit on the gold pins.
If not ill try to clean it as much as I can and try to return it.

kav1257

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
You'll want to use Isopropyl alcohol (90%+) and gently clean the pins using a cotton bud, or light toothbrush. Some people suggest using a toothpick very finely but I do not really do this myself. Don't soak anything in isoprop and do so very carefully, you could easily cause more damage.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7lwksa/thermal_paste_on_cpu_pins/

Perfect i will try to attempt to clean it tomorrow, i don't have any pics at the moment i will try to take a picture tomorrow.
Im not using a GPU at the moment, i was using the built in motherboard for now. As I was hoping to get a 3080 next week when they released. No other components are being powered other than the case fans via Corsair commander Pro.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Perfect i will try to attempt to clean it tomorrow, i don't have any pics at the moment i will try to take a picture tomorrow.
Im not using a GPU at the moment, i was using the built in motherboard for now. As I was hoping to get a 3080 next week when they released. No other components are being powered other than the case fans via Corsair commander Pro.
There is your other issue. The 3900x does not have graphics, your pc won't boot until you get the GPU. The integrated graphics come from the CPU, not the motherboard. The motherboard just has to be able to use it.

You still want to clean CPU pins though if there is thermal paste on them.