[SOLVED] Help, built Mom a computer but it's crashing!

kevinm34232

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
So I built Mom a budget computer, and it's been crashing randomly since I gave it her. I took it back and replaced the motherboard, but still same issues.
The best I've been able to troubleshoot without being there is the Event Viewer is showing Event ID 41 Kernel-Power.

I have Teamviewer installed on her computer and CPUID running logs but not able to match up with the crashes. Can anyone help me out here? I'm thinking it's losing power but not sure if it's power supply or the CPU at this point.

Seasonic S12III 450 SSR-450GB3 450W

Patriot Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Extreme Performance Memory, Black Sides / Red Top Model PV48G300C6K

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics - YD2200C5FBBOX

ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4

Solution
Ok, given the blue screens, yeah, it does sound like a RAM issue. Never had a problem with Patriot before, so that's odd.

Also, check the motherboard QVL list - I know that LOTS of RAM not on the QVL list should work, but I tend to be a little on the extra cautious side (at least when it comes to other peoples' PCs) and try to stick to RAM from the QVL list.

Also - get rid of that PSU. It's not causing any issues now, but the S12iii models are not good. The S12ii are ok, but outdated. If going with Seasonic, get a FOCUS model.

For other recommendations, see the link in my sig.
I'm VERY suspect of the memory. If there's a blue screen, then there has to be a .dmp file at that location. Additionally, if there were no .dmp files in that location, that means there would be no correlating BSODS and that it would be a power issue with the power supply. Primarily because a power issue wouldn't allow for the bluescreen, because power loss will just power off the system. But that doesn't appear to be the case. This wouldn't be the first time I ran into an issue like this with Patriot memory. I know that comes across as biased but that would be my next step. I'd purchase another g.skill kit to test with.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, given the blue screens, yeah, it does sound like a RAM issue. Never had a problem with Patriot before, so that's odd.

Also, check the motherboard QVL list - I know that LOTS of RAM not on the QVL list should work, but I tend to be a little on the extra cautious side (at least when it comes to other peoples' PCs) and try to stick to RAM from the QVL list.

Also - get rid of that PSU. It's not causing any issues now, but the S12iii models are not good. The S12ii are ok, but outdated. If going with Seasonic, get a FOCUS model.

For other recommendations, see the link in my sig.

Solution

kevinm34232

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
I have the dump files how do I share these, I don't know how to open them either..

The memory is running at whatever the default would be, I didn't change anything.

Can someone recommend some memory? I currently have the two Patriot 4 GB sticks which were actually on the approved list

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.us.asp#Memory

But it seems there's very few approved 4GB sticks in that speed.

Last edited:
I just did a quick run through tonight, but I think that was enough. The most likely cause here looks to be a bad stick of RAM.

Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.

Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred. A corrupted PTE has been detected.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

Error: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a single-bit error was found in this page. This is a hardware memory error.