Help buying mid-range gaming laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

amombour

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
1_What is your budget?
$1500-$2000 Canadian, maybe a bit more

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.4" to 18.4"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
whatever is good for gaming, I was thinking 1600x900 or 1920x1080, 1900x1200 may be too high for a mid-range system to push on some games?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portability doesn't matter too much

5_How much battery life do you need?
battery life doesn't matter too much

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
yes I want to play games. However the most frequent game I play is EQ2, which is CPU-bound. So while GPU is important, I need good performance from CPU as well.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
gaming is primary

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
storage doesn't matter too much

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
NCIX: ASUS G51J-A1
Dell.ca: Alienware m15x
NCIX: Gateway P-7902H

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD writer minimum

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
don't have a preference

13_What country do you live in?
Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I live in Canada and want a mid-range gaming laptop for $1500-$2000(ish) CAD. I'd like to play modern FPS games, as well as EQ2 which is a CPU-bound game. I think 1600x900 is the minimum res I need, but likely 1920x1080 would suit me better, if a vid card in this price range can be expected to push games at that res (GTX 260m?).

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Solution
I would choose either ASUS G51J or AW M15x between your options because of having i7,however SAGER NP8690 is a good option too,it has the same price of AW M15x and the ASUS model but it has GTX 280M which is 10-15% faster than GTX 260M.
I would choose either ASUS G51J or AW M15x between your options because of having i7,however SAGER NP8690 is a good option too,it has the same price of AW M15x and the ASUS model but it has GTX 280M which is 10-15% faster than GTX 260M.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS