[SOLVED] [Help] Can I upgrade my RAM to 16 GB?

johnsenes

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
So I am getting 16 GB Ram (2 x 8 GB) for the Alienware Aurora R4.

First, I am worried it will not be compatible because I heard the modules must be ordered and installed in groups of 4 for Quad Channel mode. So do I need to buy the 16 GB again or am I good?

If I am good and I get the ram, should I just keep the 16 GB? Or should I do 20 GB? Because I have 4 ram slots and right now I have 8 GB (4 x 2 GB). Should I put 4 GB of ram in those extra slots? But I heard it is not good for the computer.
If someone can please help me, it would be great!
Thank you

Solution
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold.

Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. No guarantee for compatibility also includes, exact match, identical, same memory. You would have to do your own compatibility testing on such combinations with no guarantees.
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold.

Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. No guarantee for compatibility also includes, exact match, identical, same memory. You would have to do your own compatibility testing on such combinations with no guarantees.

Solution

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

on those, the maximum per slot is 8GB and must be in matching pairs.

The update for the ram would be simply taking out the two 2GB modules in slots 1 and 2 and install your 8GB modules.

johnsenes

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018

So I would put the ram in slots 1 and 2 on the left and not separate them?