Question (HELP) - Cannot connect to friends private server.

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
Hi there.
a couple of days ago I was playing on my friend's private mc server when suddenly out of nowhere I get a connection timed-out error.
I attempt to rejoin and could not rejoin. the server would not even load in the server list menu as being online.
I asked my friends if they could still join and see the server in the server list and they said they could. I asked my friend who hosts the server if he may have blocked my IP or something along those lines and he responded by saying that he hasn't and can't see anything on his modem settings that suggest I was banned or blocked. He is not someone to do this either so I know with full confidence that he was telling the truth... I contacted my ISP with the information that I had gathered and they said they either my friend was lying or it was on his end. I'm confident neither of those is the issue as at the time of me getting disconnected he was not at home and had no access to his modem,

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter or any help.

PS: i apologize if this is the incorrect tag.

PPS: Currently playing on modded MC

Last edited:

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi there.
a couple of days ago I was playing on my friend's private mc server when suddenly out of nowhere I get a connection timed-out error.
I attempt to rejoin and could not rejoin. the server would not even load in the server list menu as being online.
I asked my friends if they could still join and see the server in the server list and they said they could. I asked my friend who hosts the server if he may have blocked my IP or something along those lines and he responded by saying that he hasn't and can't see anything on his modem settings that suggest I was banned or blocked. He is not someone to do this either so I know with full confidence that he was telling the truth... I contacted my ISP with the information that I had gathered and they said they either my friend was lying or it was on his end. I'm confident neither of those is the issue as at the time of me getting disconnected he was not at home and had no access to his modem,

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter or any help.

PS: i apologize if this is the incorrect tag.
In my experience, the main reason people cannot join a MC server is because different versions of software. If you updated to the latest version of Minecraft, the server also needs to be updated. The first thing I would check is if your friend is on a different version of the game. If so, he probably needs to update his game and the server or you need to downgrade (not sure if it’s even possible).

I’ve noticed that server upgrades are sometimes released later than game updates, so it could take some time for it to be available.

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
In my experience, the main reason people cannot join a MC server is because different versions of software. If you updated to the latest version of Minecraft, the server also needs to be updated. The first thing I would check is if your friend is on a different version of the game. If so, he probably needs to update his game and the server or you need to downgrade (not sure if it’s even possible).

I’ve noticed that server upgrades are sometimes released later than game updates, so it could take some time for it to be available.
Unfortunately this most likely isnt the case, we are playing modded mc (probably should've said that earlier) and we have our own modpack so anytime we get it updated everyone else gets it updated with the server files also getting updated.
Any other thoughts on what it may be?

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019

But also a weird thing is that when im in the server browser his server literally wont show up as if its not even a server i double checked the ip and still cannot even see the server online.

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
But also a weird thing is that when im in the server browser his server literally wont show up as if its not even a server i double checked the ip and still cannot even see the server online.
Since that’s the case, it might be worth rebooting both routers/modems if you haven’t already. Double-check that his public IP address hasn’t changed. Unless he is paying his provider for a static, public IP address it probably will change on occasion.

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
Since that’s the case, it might be worth rebooting both routers/modems if you haven’t already. Double-check that his public IP address hasn’t changed. Unless he is paying his provider for a static, public IP address it probably will change on occasion.
We've both rebooting our routers which unfortunately didnt fix the problem. We have around 7 other people that can join the server just fine so i double its an IP issue.

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
We've both rebooting our routers which unfortunately didnt fix the problem. We have around 7 other people that can join the server just fine so i double its an IP issue.
So it’s something with your network… what version of the game are you playing? Not the number but the actual game version (Bedrock, Java, etc). Can you ping the server in command prompt?

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
So it’s something with your network… what version of the game are you playing? Not the number but the actual game version (Bedrock, Java, etc). Can you ping the server in command prompt?
tried pinging the ip through cmd. it didnt respond saying "request timed out"
currently playing on java 1.19.2

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
Yeh ive checked both router and computer firewall and theyre not blocking anything.
This is my last idea… I know some Minecraft servers have a whitelist/blacklist. I’d check with your friend to make sure you are added. It’s possible that he added your public IP to that and it changed. Or maybe you somehow got blocked on the server with an in-game command from someone.

Everything sounds fine from your end, so I think the problem is with your friend’s network or server.

Edit: Can you try connecting to it from another device on your network? Try pinging it from another device if possible. I’d call your ISP to make sure they haven’t blocked your friends IP on their end.

Last edited:

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
This is my last idea… I know some Minecraft servers have a whitelist/blacklist. I’d check with your friend to make sure you are added. It’s possible that he added your public IP to that and it changed. Or maybe you somehow got blocked on the server with an in-game command from someone.

Everything sounds fine from your end, so I think the problem is with your friend’s network or server.

Edit: Can you try connecting to it from another device on your network? Try pinging it from another device if possible. I’d call your ISP to make sure they haven’t blocked your friends IP on their end.
Got it working... no clue as to why it just started randomly working but it did. he turned off the ability to ping his ip so thats why i couldnt ping him. however he just turned it off and on again and it somehow fixed it.

Reactions: Cj-tech