Question Help. Can't access old Win7 PC from Win10.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I booted up an old Win7 PC to replace an old backup PC that died. No login needed. Goes straight to the desktop. I reconnected it to the Internet over WiFi (ordinary WPA2 with AES) and it works just fine.

My Win10 tablet sees it on the network, but when I try to connect, it says my Username & Password are wrong. I wasn't sure what the old password was, so I changed it to something I know, and I obtained the "Account name" from the "User Accounts" app in the Control Panel, yet when I try to access it over the network, it still insists my "Username and Password are incorrect". :cautious:

How do I verify the network Username and Password on the old Win7 PC? (I can change it if necessary.)

TIA

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Thanks for the reply, but the result was the same.

I added 32bit DWords for "SMB1" & "SMB2" (both set to "1" for Enabled) to the proper place in the Registry (as explained here), rebooted, and tried connecting again. No change.

Is there a Win7 program (or DOS command) that will display my Network username & password?

TIA

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I think you might have to redo the share on the win7 system for it to use the new username/password. Sharing on windows always was a pita when problems like this came up. :(

Can your win7 system connect to the tablet?

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the late response.

I double-checked the chares on the Win7 PC. I set my D: data drive to "Share", but when I try to connect to the Win7 PC from my Win10 tablet, I get the following error message:

tablet-err.png

I noticed it says, "Blank passwords aren't allowed", but the Win7-PC doesn't have a password (allowing it to boot directly to the desktop.) I'm guessing the only way to access it over a netword is to add a password to the account?
:sad:

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
UPDATE: Okay, problem resolved. For anyone coming across this thread in the future.

The problem was indeed the lack of a password on the remote/Win7 PC. Because I knew it had no password, I assumed the problem was the "username", and kept trying different names without success, and could not tell when I had entered the correct one.

So, on a Win7 PC, the "Username" the network login is looking for is the name listed at the top of the Start menu (case sensitive). And unfortunately, you WILL have to add a new password in order to access it over the network (no more booting straight to the desktop.)

To create a password, open "User Accounts" (in the Control Panel) and you'll see an option to Create a password.

On your local PC, you might have to recreate the network connection if it's still looking for the remote computer under the wrong name.

(I suspect this same issue applies to a Win10 PC if it includes an account with no password... tricky but it can be done.)