Help, Can't overclock a 2800+

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hi all,

I know my cpu is old, and it is a socket a(462) motherboard.

ok, when I turn on my computer I go to the bios and I tried to set the multiplier up a little but it can't go any higher(12.5 is what it is at) because it is already at the max(or another words it is at the bottom of the list)
and if I try to set the front side buss to anything higher than 166gz(like 200gz) it doesn't work. and my heatsink is good enough for a 3200+ it what it says. so I don't know why it is not working. but it isn't that in portent to me to get it to an stable overclock.

any help

royalcrown

Distinguished
First of all, your ram might not overclock, secondly those cpus don't overclock anyways because they are already near their design limits and there is no headroom.

Your wasting your time on it.

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
ho okay, well that interesting. my ram is corsair and has heatsink and cas legacy of 2, so I think it is good enough.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
The problem has nothing to do with your ram. Most of the old XP CPUs had a locked multipier including the XP2800. The only way to squeeze a bit more out of them was to increase the FSB in small increments and if your motherboard is a basic model that only supports exact 133/166/200 FSB speeds with nothing in between, then you're out of luck. Besides, even if you did get a small overclock on your current system, it's so slow that it really wouldn't give you much, if any benefit with current games and applications.

royalcrown

Distinguished
I just got rid of a 2800+ on an chaintech skt600 board with pqi 400 turbo and corsair memory and 7600 gs. If you can even get a couple mhz diff, you'll never notice it, you wanna see an improvement, you need to switch to something modern...sorry, but true.

And it was my working system I built and had since it was an xp1700+ in 03

Those xp's were just at the architectural wall is all

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I have a Asus A7N8 Deluxe(or a A7N8X-E Deluxe not exactly sure witch one it is) so it is nicer old board :) if that makes any sens. and my possessor does have a unlocked multiplier from what I have seen. ya I was just hopen to get a little more performance out of it, but like you said it is not going to be much. if any one has a(or nose where to find 3200+)for a cheap price I would be interested.