Help! Can't Power Off or Reboot. "termsvr.dll" corrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I got stung by a nasty virus the other day. The virus is now gone but the damage remains.

For some reason, I can neither power off nor reboot from Windows (both exit Windows, but my lights & fans stay on.)

I ran the SFC and it reports "C:\Windows\system32\termsvr.dll" is "corrupt" and I'm wondering it that might have something to do with it? Maybe the computer can't complete a Shutdown/Reboot because it can't sever a network connection? :??:

I tried replacing it with a copy from an old backup, but SFC still reports the file as "corrupt".

The computer powers off/reboots just fine from Safe Mode with Networking as well as from Linux (dual boot PC with Ubuntu on another drive) so this is NOT a hardware or BIOS issue.

I've tried disabling every Startup app & Service using Msconfig, but it makes no difference. If I try to power off or reboot from the Windows login screen, it still doesn't work, meaning whatever the cause, it's happening very early in the Windows boot process.

I'm using 64bit Win7 Home. I searched everywhere online, but nothing I've found pertains to my problem. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

TIA

Fastest solution is recovery IF you have one reload system to time before virus. Windows DVD might help after you get it to work (or boot from DVD and get it to redeploy windows).
have you tried stuff like malvarebytes or https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/
it should either help or kill your system completely.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
If you have the installation media, you can try a repair.

Honestly, if it was me, I would format the drive and reinstall Windows. You would need to backup anything important but trying to recover Windows, for normal use, after a virus is a bad idea.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, my last Restore Point doesn't go back far enough. The Win Install DVD refuses to perform a repair, claiming my OS is "too new" to be repaired (it was a pre-SP1 OEM dvd.)

My last full backup was early December, father back than I'd care to go to fix what I believe should be a minor issue.) "ComboFix" is a sledgehammer. I need a scalpel.

I was about to do my next backup when all this happened. :(

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Follow-up: I was able to get my optical drives to reappear by following the procedure in this post:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-windows-10-dvdcd-rom-error-windows-cannot-start-this-hardware-device-because-its-configuration-information-in-the-registry-is-incomplete-or-damaged-code-19/

I only had the "LowerFilters" key (not "UpperFilters") but deleting it from the Registry & rebooting was all it took to get the drives back.

I removed the subject of my "Optical Drives not working" from the original post.

Now I need to figure out why Reboot & Shutdown aren't working.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Mugsy : "Windows won't Shutdown or Restart following virus. "termsrv.dll" corrupt?"

I got stung by a nasty virus the other day. The virus is now gone but the damage remains.

For some reason, I can neither power off nor reboot from Windows (both exit Windows, but my lights & fans stay on.)

I ran the SFC and it reports "C:\Windows\system32\termsvr.dll" is "corrupt" and I'm wondering it that might have something to do with it? Maybe the computer can't complete a Shutdown/Reboot because it can't sever a network connection? :??:

I tried replacing it with a copy from an old backup, but SFC still reports the file as "corrupt" (someone else I found reported a similar problem trying to replace the "termsrv.dll", but never received a useful answer.)

But maybe I'm wrong and this problem has nothing to do with "termsrv.dll".

The computer powers off/reboots just fine from Safe Mode with Networking as well as from Linux (dual boot PC with Ubuntu on another drive) so this is NOT a hardware or BIOS issue.

I've tried disabling every Startup app & Service using Msconfig, but it makes no difference. If I try to power off or reboot from the Windows login screen, it still doesn't work, meaning whatever the cause, it's happening very early in the Windows boot process.

I'm using 64bit Win7 Home. I searched everywhere online, but nothing I've found pertains to my problem. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

TIA

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Please delete this post and DO NOT MERGE it with another/newer post with more targeted information, posted to a more appropriate forum.

I stopped receiving useful replies the day after I first posted it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.