Help!! Can't remember or find my Wep Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

spokane

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Okay, I know I should have written down but didn't. I have a Linksys wireless broadband router, is there a way to find out my wep key? All I did was move one of my computers from one room to another, and now it wants to know the wep key again and I don't know what it is.

I read something about logging into your router? Don't know exactly how to do that. Any help would sure be appreciated.

P.S. I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to all the techno stuff so go easy on me okay.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Connect a computer to a wired connection on the router. Point your browser at http://192.168.1.1/ That should take you to the admin interface of the router. If that doesn't work, check the documentation that came with your router --- it will give you the correct aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd IP address.

If you (or someone else) has not set the password for the admin screen, the default for Linksys (the last I used one) was blank for the username and "admin" for the password, but again, RTFM. BTW, of you set up WEP security but left the admin login default, perhaps someone found your wireless and changed the key for you.

If all else fails, do a hard reset on the router and start over. "Hard reset" is not just a power cycle... there is usually reset button on the bottom or somewhere that requires a stylus (pen, paperclip, etc.) to push it... you usually have to hold it in for 30 seconds or more to cause the hard reset. This will take your router back to factory default settings for everything.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Hey, wait a minute... moving your computer should not have required the re-entry of the key. Perhaps moving your computer means another nearby wireless signal is now stronger than yours, and it is trying to connect to a different wireless signal altogether? Before I reset everything, I'd definitely look into that possibility. Maybe all you need to do is make sure you are trying to connect to the correct network.

clarkboy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
lol same problem reasly well not i am trying to set up the house to wireless and now i set it up on my fist lap top everything went fine now i go to the next desktop computer to connect to the wireless i need the wep key or wpa key and i carnt remember where to find it

nicholas0130

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I have that problem also but i lost the manual and i play the Ds andi can't setup my wi-fi conection without it :fou: and why don't they just show what your WEP key is for petes sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

G

Clarkboy, Nicholas:
Connect your computer to router by ethernet cable. Have a look at the manual (download if necessary) and find the router's user interface default (factory set) login and password (user name will be admin with a password like password or netgear or linksys etc). Do not confuse this with the encryption passphrase or ISP logon name and password.

Once you are in the router's user interface, disable wireless encryption or reset the WEP or WPA passphrase to a new one.

As mentioned by Iceblue above, if you cannot get into the router user interface using the default password, the default may have been changed by the user. The way round that it to use the reset button on the router -- however, this does revert all router settings to the defaults.

G

i didn't know my WEP Key and I have Linksys. I simply called them. They charged me $9.00. I did not wait long on hold. The person set up a net meeting and reset my wep code. It was simple. Just call Linksys. The number is 1800 linksys. Hope this helps o

lady3477

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
I have a D-Link. Will a hard reset work on this also or should I use the D-Link tech support? They have a charge for their service and do not state what it runs. Does anyone know what a normal charge would be? I have already reset it once and changed everything but the WEP key. Don't know how to do that and can't find or remember the old one. Can't get my new laptop on line. Help

G

hello, i am haveing almost the same problom as the first guy, but i dont have a lyinkeys router, i have a netgear router so i was wondering if you could tell me what the username and passward is for netgear, thank you.

G

User Name on Netgear routers is admin
Default Password is password or maybe 1234 on some models.

Suggest you download the manual from www.netgear.com

If you have changed the default at some point your only option is to press reset button (under pinhole beside ethernet ports) -- note that this will reset other settings so proceed with caution.

G

do u have any other idea on how to find the passward because i restarted both modem and my router and i typed in 1234 and then admin but it doesnt work.

JayJay1401

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
do u have any other idea on how to find the passward because i restarted both modem and my router and i typed in 1234 and then admin but it doesnt work.
to all it may concern if u have a comcast modem use everything stated above but to access ur modem

username: comcast

password: 1234

(default that is) then sry to say but from there ur on ur own

G

ok i'm not sure if it'll work because i have a netgear router but try going to the browser and typing http://192.168.0.1 and if that doesn't work type http://192.168.1.1 and a window will appear.

Username: admin
Pass: password

click "wireless settings"
at the bottom it says "security encryption (WEP) key" and there will be many boxes with numbers. whichever one has a bubble filled in next to it is the WEP key. again i dont know if it will work because i have a netgear router. if it doesn't then i can't help. sorry

G

ok i'm not sure if it'll work because i have a netgear router but try going to the browser and typing http://192.168.0.1 and if that doesn't work type http://192.168.1.1 and a window will appear.

Username: admin
Pass: password

click "wireless settings"
at the bottom it says "security encryption (WEP) key" and there will be many boxes with numbers. whichever one has a bubble filled in next to it is the WEP key. again i dont know if it will work because i have a netgear router. if it doesn't then i can't help. sorry

K, thanks for the help but when i clicked the link it just said that the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading??

plz help!!!!

G

Ok, so I've lost my WEP key. I've typed 192.168.1.1. into my browser, entered my username and password and got onto the site. It's not really quite like that though. The site doesn't have anything on it, it's blank but it says it's loaded.

1. Is there a way to fix this...
...or...
2. ...is there a different way to find my WEP key?

Thanks

G

best thing you can do is ring up and ask for a new speedtouch router , on them routers on the box bit it tells you the wep key which is really helpful when you need it then u know it at all times if its needed.

The wep key has letters and numbers , people get the ip adress and the wep key mixed up , netgear is a waste of time i advise anyone who has netgear router to get a speedtouch one as its much better

i tried to set ps3 up with that netgear and its so hard to find the wep its unreal so much hassal + its rubbish signal for some reason .

thanks

retellect

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
By the sounds of it you just wanna retrieve your WEP key without learning how to hack. By rights, you should have easy access but I know the feeling of losing your wep key and not wanting to change it again.

There is a simple way to retrieve your WEP key out of your computers registry. Press start, then run and type in "regedit" without the quotes. Look for: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\ and you should find your wep there. If you want more details or alternative methods to easily find it out, read more at http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-find-a-wep-key . Simple stuff! :D

bonkers_88

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
hi, i just got a ps3 last week and have never used xbox live or ps3 network online, i have 2 sky boxes in the house but no router! can i still connect without a router?!

anonymus

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I would like to know how i can see my wep key without changing it. How can i do that?
P.S. I know where to find the place where we an change the key

joshu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
hey i just moved and i am tryin to get my ps back online my aunt has a wireless connection...and i can find it but we cant figure out what the wifi password is or where to find it on her dell labtop...with vista where could i find this password

Status
Not open for further replies.