Question Help! Case transfer caused fuse to blow!

Nov 16, 2020
PSU or motherboard electrical short?

Hey everyone, so I have been having a rough couple of days due to my computer seemingly getting fried in what should have been a simple case swap.

Pc build:
Intel i7 8700k
Asus Maximus code xi z390
Corsair h100i pro aio
Seagate 2tb hdd
Samsung 970evo nvme m.2 ssd
Gskill ripjaws ps1250p 80 plus platinum
Crucial ballistik 8gb ddr4 ram x2
Case - Corsair ique —> Lian Li pc 011-DX

A little backstory: for my bachelor party last year my friends all pitched in to help build me a new computer. As an avid gamer and actor in NYC, I wasn’t able to build myself a new pc and mine was outdated. They all pitched in and got me the best money could buy (about $2000). Of course they also donated extra parts they had (case and fans) and it’s been the perfect pc.

I was looking to change cases to a larger case and I purchased a Lian Li case (on a friends recommendation) when it came in I took my old pc and began methodically taking everything out of the Corsair case and transferring it into the Lian Li. I’ve been building PCs for over 15 years, so I’m not green by any means, so I’m always careful when it comes to handling components. Once I plugged everything in and flipped the switch it all looked ok until I pressed the power button on the front plate. The instant I hit the power button, my fuse blew in that part of the apartment.

Now I went over to another outlet on a different fuse to see if the computer would at least turn on and nothing happened. So the next day I went out to the nearest micro center and picked up a new PSU. When I got back I removed all of the cables from the old PSU and only used the cables that were in the new PSU box. Once everything was plugged back into the motherboard (still in the Lian Li case) I went to power it on and again it blew a fuse (this time on the other outlet fuse line). Freaking out I decided to take everything out of the Lian Li case and put it back into my Corsair case. Once I had it all back into the original case the new PSU powered on (thank god!) and it didn’t blow a fuse!

I’m currently in the midst of figuring out what components are screwed and so far it looks like my motherboard is toast. The rgb on the motherboard light up but it doesn’t power the fans or aio. From everything I’ve noticed, it seems like the case is the common denominator.

My questions are:
1 - If the case is what caused the short on some way is there any way I could get reimbursed for any lost components from Lian Li (I purchased the case from Amazon)
2 - Has anyone ever had a case cause a short like this?
3 - Could it have been the front panel wiring on the case that was faulty? Or maybe the motherboard was touching something it wasn’t supposed to when screwed in?

Any and all advise would be awesome. Thanks in advance you guys and girls.

Lutfij

Titan
1| The only way that the case would've caused the short is if you had the standoff for the motherboard under a location where it shouldn't have been there. If you expect the seller or even Lian Li to reimburse you for a damage that they might've caused, then you need to prove that it was them who put the stand off in the wrong place to being with but as far as I know, they can't possibly do that.

2| I did...but that prevented my system from powering up at all. The short you speak of is the circuit breaker falling in your Main Distribution Board, perhaps see if you can get that breaker's lever up again. Prior to getting the lever up, look at all the cables in your system. Make sure the standoffs are in the right locations.

3| You might want to breadboard the system and see if the system powers up without flipping the breaker's switch.

Nov 16, 2020
1| The only way that the case would've caused the short is if you had the standoff for the motherboard under a location where it shouldn't have been there. If you expect the seller or even Lian Li to reimburse you for a damage that they might've caused, then you need to prove that it was them who put the stand off in the wrong place to being with but as far as I know, they can't possibly do that.

2| I did...but that prevented my system from powering up at all. The short you speak of is the circuit breaker falling in your Main Distribution Board, perhaps see if you can get that breaker's lever up again. Prior to getting the lever up, look at all the cables in your system. Make sure the standoffs are in the right locations.

3| You might want to breadboard the system and see if the system powers up without flipping the breaker's switch.
Is there a circuit breaker on motherboards? If so could you explain what it looks like so I could attempt to remedy it? And I would need to check the case for a stand-off that may be out of place. Thanks for the advice.