[SOLVED] Help, cat disabled touchpad and I can't get it working

Nov 22, 2021
I have a Alienware Dell computer, my cat jumped on my keyboard and spammed a bunch of buttons and now my touchpad doesn't work. I've tried going into the touchpad to enable it but it's already enabled. It works if I log out of my account, and is only disabled when I log into my user.

Also, I noticed that in the bottom right icons, there's a new icon called "synaptics point device" with a big red X through the icon, if I try to open the properties for it, nothing happens. If I click "about" it says "unable to execute....(it links to a file path)...DellTpad.exe"

Any ideas on how I can get my touch bad working again? I've tried disabling and renabling and tried updating the driver, nothing is working.

Solution
I have a Alienware Dell computer, my cat jumped on my keyboard and spammed a bunch of buttons and now my touchpad doesn't work.

its been a while since i seen a cat story, cats and keyboards are a terrible combo as they can do commands we didn't even know existed.

does touchpad work in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

that would tell you if its a driver thing or a setting
if it works it...
Nov 22, 2021
One of the top function keys likely is a touchpad enable and disable key. Look for the likely symbols and try them.

I tried all the different functions on the keyboard and haven't been able to get the touchpad to work. After my cat spammed a bunch of different keys, there was a virtual keyboard that appeared on the screen, I don't know if that helps at all.

The big X with the synaptics pointing device makes me think it has something to do with the driver, but it doesn't make sense to me why the touchpad works the moment i log out of my user.

I've also tried restarting my computer which didn't work either.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have a Alienware Dell computer, my cat jumped on my keyboard and spammed a bunch of buttons and now my touchpad doesn't work.

its been a while since i seen a cat story, cats and keyboards are a terrible combo as they can do commands we didn't even know existed.

does touchpad work in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

that would tell you if its a driver thing or a setting
if it works it could be a driver, if it doesn't it might be a setting on user.

its unlikely you wouldn't have noticed cat randomly type something into search so this probably isn't it - https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...g-or-enabling-the-touchpad-on-a-dell-notebook

if its a user setting, maybe look in Accessibility as it is where the on screen keyboard can be found and you mentioned it appeared while cat "typed"

I can't remember solution in last cat case as it was a few years ago.

Solution