Question Help choose B450 or low end X570 for 3700X/3950X

Nov 17, 2019
Hello,
i am currently choosing motherboard for my PC build. Im that kind of person who builds PC for at least 5+ years to come.
I will be using Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, and a 5700 or 5700XT GPU (Sapphire pulse). Ventilated case - 2x 120mm front, 2x 120mm rear fans.
Currently i am stuck at choosing a motherboard. I want a board that can run 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box no problems, has 3.2 internal USB header, can support 4 120mm fans, and is sort-of future proof (3950X in the future, no overclocking). I do not want to update BIOS.
Firstly I wanted a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, but I discarded it after reading about long POSTs and other problems. So I thought to myself ill get a X570 low-end. In my budget I can get a maximum ASUS X570-P, Gigabyte X570 Gaming X or similliar priced boards.
But now I am stuck at reading about the chipset fan and its loudness and dumb placement under the GPU.
In ASUS board you cant control PCH_FAN speed, but this board has better VRM for future-proofing (second hand 3950X maybe?).
Gigabyte does not have VRM that good as ASUS, but you can control the chipset fan speed.

Are there any other boards to be considered? Which one of these would you choose? Cant afford more expensive ones.

Thank you

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Do your homework... A lot of low end (esp MSi) boards cannot handle a 3900x let alone a 3950x. The problem is a number of low end boards have terrible power supply circuitry (i.e. VRMs). Look at Hardware Unboxed reviews on YouTube. They will help you decide...

Don't pay heed to the horror stories about the Tomahawk Max. Firstly: long boot times has been a plague on pretty much all motherboards prior to AGESA 1004b. And even then, 'long' is relative.

But second and possibly most important: Tomahawk was, and is, easily the most popular B450 board, especially for first-time builders. That means it's bound to get the greatest number of whiney complainers whenever they have a problem they can't deal with.

You may not be looking for one to do this but Tomahawk's have just been demonstrated a comfortable home even for the 3950X.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J69aiJJEHzQ

Reactions: sizzling