Help choose laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna Whiteford

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I am looking to buy myself a new laptop as i am about to start an online course. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am tossing up between a Macbook Pro and a normal laptop?? Apart from doing my course i would just be using it for general internet emails etc and typing documents if need be, maybe storing music and photos aswell.

This... is, uhm... a quadruple post. (Resisting urge to comment on the fact that the user wants a mac.)

If you know windows and you like it, get a normal computer.

If you have money to burn and want to be protected from yourself, get the normal computer by paying several hundred more for it to have OSX on it.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
The macbook Air will be enough for you, is faster because of the SSD, lighter and already powerfull enough. You gonna suffer a lot with a Windows notebook, they dont have the multi-touch availalbe in macbooks and gonna give you a real headache, not to mention insanelly slower Opearational System

scottiemedic

Distinguished
If you want something to web surf, store data and email grandma, why would you spend 2 GRAND on a Macbook Pro?? Go get a $500 Windows laptop from __________ (insert nearest store here) and use the other $1500 on something cool, or send it to me, I need money... DON'T get an Air, they have small SSDs in them and all your data will end up on an external drive cause the 128GB SSD will fill in no time!

JustinCox22

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Do you want a laptop with long battery life? Then go for Macbook Pro. As you have said, you are going to study an online course, that only means you are going to be online most of the time. With that, I think you need a laptop that wont lagged in case you'll open multiple websites or links. And since Macbook Pro has long battery life, you can just bring it with you without worrying about recharging it. And lastly, Macbook is really durable. It doesn't require you to install anti-virus and all.

I hope you can make up your mind. Good luck.

Hi :)

If you SERIOUSLY think Macs cannot get viruses, you should not be answering questions about them...

Why do you think Norton do a special version for MACS ONLY ???

All the best Brett :)

1) You can get a normal laptop and put an SSD in it for WAY cheaper... and it will be plenty powerful.

2) "suffer" with windows? How exactly will using faster hotkeys rather than fumbling around to make gestures going to give you a headache?

3) With as much as OSX babies its users, I'm surprised it doesn't have a better spell-check - it's needed here. Aside from the fact that you think that windows runs on fruit, on WHAT basis do you think it's "insanelly [sic] slower"?

JustinCox22

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

If that's the case then mac users will have to install Norton then. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.