Jun 25, 2019
Hi, I am getting a new built and I need to get 128GB of RAM, but I don't know which one is better or at least compatible
My parts until now:
Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha
Threadripper 2950X+Liqtech II 360
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Firecuda 2TB
2080 Ti (still pending)
Corsair AX1000 80 plus Titanium

I already take a look to Asus QVL, but I'm confused that for ex. There's none option at 2933 Mhz, that is suppossed to be the higher speed, but there are options over 3000 Mhz!

Anyway, I've seen these deals and idk, most of reviews or posts I've saw, mention G.Skill's options, unfortunatly, for me are not an option cuz are mostly twice of price in the pages that ship to my country.
HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K8/128 3000 Mhz (the only QVL's option I found available)
Corsair Dominator Platinum 128 GB 128GB DDR4 2666MHz (I think is Ver5.XX, not the 4.XX that uses Samsung B-Dim :( )
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 128G, DDR4, 2933MHz
All are similar price, also I found Flare X 128GB 2933 MHz, but is more expensive, like 150-200 USD, that I don't mind if the performance/quality worth that difference.

Which one should I get? I don't want to have any troubles while working, so I should prefer stability rather than speed, but would be nice having both hehe

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
2933MHz is 3000MHz.
The reason it says that is because more often that not with Ryzen, it for some reason doesn't like the number 3000 and will run the RAM at 2933MHz instead because it seems to like it better.
And while yes, there is RAM that is rated for 2933MHz, it's not easy to find.
So 3000MHz would be what you look for, and if the system doesn't like the speed, then it'll default it to running at 2933MHz.

Honestly, any 128GB kit of RAM will do at 3000MHz or more.

But if you want to use something on the QVL, then just look at the 3000MHz options available.
However, at that point, with that kind of money being spent, you would be better off with 3200MHz or more if you could afford it.

What country are you in?

Jun 25, 2019
2933MHz is 3000MHz.
The reason it says that is because more often that not with Ryzen, it for some reason doesn't like the number 3000 and will run the RAM at 2933MHz instead because it seems to like it better.
And while yes, there is RAM that is rated for 2933MHz, it's not easy to find.
So 3000MHz would be what you look for, and if the system doesn't like the speed, then it'll default it to running at 2933MHz.

Honestly, any 128GB kit of RAM will do at 3000MHz or more.

But if you want to use something on the QVL, then just look at the 3000MHz options available.
However, at that point, with that kind of money being spent, you would be better off with 3200MHz or more if you could afford it.

What country are you in?

Oh... thank you for the explanation, now I get it! I'm in Mexico, here the retailers stay away from the high endo parts, so mostly I get it from Amazon, NewEgg, etc. Could you recomend me some kit options for good performance and less possible issues? I may consider invest more if the cost worth it.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Honestly, it's like this.
It's a lot of money as it is just for the first option in this list here
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/m...03600&Z=131072004,131072008&sort=price&page=1

128GB of RAM is honestly ridiculous, and only really necessary if what you plan to use the PC for will ever require that amount.

But if it was me, is be fine using the 3000mhz RAM and saving the money.

If the cost of any 293mhz RAM in your country would be more affordable by a decent margin than buying from American website and paying the import fee, then just buy that locally.

But another way you could save some serious money as well, is to just settle for 64gb of ram, either with 4x16gb or 8x8gb to fill all slots.

Another option is that you could get higher speed 64gb kit for about the same price after import as American retail price of a 128gb kit.

Here's 64gb kits if interested.
This list contains both 4x16gb and 8x8gb kits of the speeds that your motherboard supports.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/m...,403466,403600&sort=price&Z=65536004,65536008

The fourth option in this list is 3600mhz 4x16gb for $285 USD. And it's quality RAM from G.Skill.

While you may not fill up every single slot on the board, you'll still get quad channel from it.

And I would assume any import fees wouldn't be too expensive for it.
And you would get the higher speeds.

Jun 25, 2019
Honestly, it's like this.
It's a lot of money as it is just for the first option in this list here
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/m...03600&Z=131072004,131072008&sort=price&page=1

128GB of RAM is honestly ridiculous, and only really necessary if what you plan to use the PC for will ever require that amount.

But if it was me, is be fine using the 3000mhz RAM and saving the money.

If the cost of any 293mhz RAM in your country would be more affordable by a decent margin than buying from American website and paying the import fee, then just buy that locally.

But another way you could save some serious money as well, is to just settle for 64gb of ram, either with 4x16gb or 8x8gb to fill all slots.

Another option is that you could get higher speed 64gb kit for about the same price after import as American retail price of a 128gb kit.

Here's 64gb kits if interested.
This list contains both 4x16gb and 8x8gb kits of the speeds that your motherboard supports.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/m...,403466,403600&sort=price&Z=65536004,65536008

The fourth option in this list is 3600mhz 4x16gb for $285 USD. And it's quality RAM from G.Skill.

While you may not fill up every single slot on the board, you'll still get quad channel from it.

And I would assume any import fees wouldn't be too expensive for it.
And you would get the higher speeds.

Thanks a lot!
As matter of fact, I really going to need the 128GB, pretty much for simulations that uses a lot of physics, particles, 3D stuff, etc.
So taking from those options you give me and looking towards the general opinion that Samsung's chips get better stable speeds... I think I will go for the Ripjaws V 3000MHz kit, as a "plus" is in the QVL.

Why are you trying to run that PC?
It seems a bit counter intuitive to run a thread ripper with high speed ram (it would neither be stable nor fast in games).

The minute you OC the ram in ryzen you make some things inherently prone to crashing (from my experience in gaming, Overwatch and Heroes of the storm. Seems blizzard has an issue with it).
Threadripper also aint the fastest CPU in gaming so... I dont see why you are building that beast.

Jun 25, 2019
Why are you trying to run that PC?
It seems a bit counter intuitive to run a thread ripper with high speed ram (it would neither be stable nor fast in games).

The minute you OC the ram in ryzen you make some things inherently prone to crashing (from my experience in gaming, Overwatch and Heroes of the storm. Seems blizzard has an issue with it).
Threadripper also aint the fastest CPU in gaming so... I dont see why you are building that beast.
Because the main use will be working in 3D, video editing and heavy particles simulations, where more RAM/lowest times. Also Threadripper give me plenty cores with the best single core performance (in comparission with other proccessors with that amount of cores) :)

Got it.
In that case I would NOT overclock the ram for stability reasons, meaning all you need is a kit of RAM that will be validated for your motherboard and 128GB.
If you still feel like it (overclocking), it is very unlikely you will find a lot of good info on the subject because it is a very niche market (people with overclocked threadripper 128GB ram).

And while it may work for someone else, there is 0 guarantee for you. The best way to find any data on overclocking is usually manually doing it yourself, and that takes time ( A LOT OF IT, Im taking weeks of testing, especially with such a high memory count), and it will be only possible after you bought the ram itself, so that does not help.

B-Die should be better, but again, it is 128 GB, NOT 16. People who keep taking about B-Die being so much better mostly talk about 16 GB and high speed overclocks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u6DY8On1XA

Maybe this helps?