[SOLVED] Help choosing a 24-27in 1440p 144hz gaming monitor

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
RTX 2070
i5-9600K
16 GB DDR4 3000 Mhz

I play a lot of FPS games.. built this PC in January and delayed getting a new monitor. In desperate need of a new one now so I can finally take full advantage of my rig.

Budget: $400-500
Type: IPS
Size: 27 inches
Refresh Rate: 144Hz
Resolution: 1440p
No curved displays

Last edited:
Solution
I was looking at this monitor as well, I really couldn’t find much on it. Think I should go for it? 1ms ips for that cheap seems a little market-y.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dj...d-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vx2758-2kp-mhd

I really haven't looked into ViewSonic, no idea where their panels come from. AU Optronics, LG, or Innolux basically for 144hz, but my normal review channel (tftcentral) hasn't reviewed any high refresh ViewSonic products. Nor have I even seen one featured on any popular youtubers or anything. Bit of a black hole.

You can't really trust response times provided by the manufacturer. Ideal lab conditions and anything they can do to make it perform.

If the customer...

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I know nothing about G-Sync and FreeSync.. basically what I think I know is that it allows you to always play at the Hz your FPS is at?? Sorry for my ignorance. Would I have issues out of the box with the AORUS Gigabyte? Read about people freezing on desktop, etc.

And between the 1st and 2nd option you posted, what is the best option? With the first I can get it on Amazon for $470 and get another 5% cash back bc of Discover. Thus making it $437.09. The other one I'd get on Newegg using a Black Friday promo and it'd be $502.89. Is the Freesync/Gsync worth $65.80?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
G-Sync and FreeSync let your GPU control the monitors refresh rate. Prevents screen tearing.

So yes, if your FPS is like 96FPS the monitor will effectively be at 96hz. But it changes so quickly so fast, that you really don't notice it, other than that the screen always looks 'smooth'

Not sure, I've seen the Gigabyte featured, but these are Gigabyte's first attempts at monitors. ASUS and Acer are the oldest in the high refresh game. Dell/Alienware would be your third major entry. And now a lot of the other OEMs are getting into it. HP Omen series, Gigabyte Aorus, MSI. ViewSonic is an old monitor company, but like all the others, they are just buying the panels from the limited suppliers. If two monitors look like they have the same stats, they are probably the same panel. You often see them come in waves of products. For instance, I didn't realize there were so many 240hz 1080p panels on the market, less than a year ago there were like two choices.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was looking at this monitor as well, I really couldn’t find much on it. Think I should go for it? 1ms ips for that cheap seems a little market-y.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dj...d-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vx2758-2kp-mhd

I really haven't looked into ViewSonic, no idea where their panels come from. AU Optronics, LG, or Innolux basically for 144hz, but my normal review channel (tftcentral) hasn't reviewed any high refresh ViewSonic products. Nor have I even seen one featured on any popular youtubers or anything. Bit of a black hole.

You can't really trust response times provided by the manufacturer. Ideal lab conditions and anything they can do to make it perform.

If the customer reviews look decent I agree, the price and capabilities are tempting if you have something to drive 1440p 144hz. Puts my $800 spend 3 years ago to shame.

Reactions: Bzay9020
Solution

Bzay9020

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016

If the customer reviews look decent I agree, the price and capabilities are tempting if you have something to drive 1440p 144hz. Puts my $800 spend 3 years ago to shame.
Reviews all seem decent, but pretty much the same as any other. “Bought it today, looks good, feels good, way better than my 720p monitor from 2006” Unfortunately haven’t found any tests or anything yet, which is surprising with its claimed features and fairly aggressive price. You’d think there’d be reviews all over the place. I guess I’ll give it a shot and see what happens, Sonic has a decent return policy as well so what’s the worst that could happen.

What's better TN or IPS? Pretty sure my 6 year old Acer is TN and I'm fine with it. Now I'm leaning more towards this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cdcMnQ/asus-rog-swift-pg278qr-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-pg278qr

But I missed any deals from Black Friday. Guess I wait.

That's a TN panel. Nothing wrong with it but a bit pricey compared to similar TN panels.

I went through this same decision last week. What made it worse was going and looking at the monitors in store.

I never realized how washed out TN panels really look compared to IPS and VA. I play a lot of FPS games so going to 144Hz at 1080p was cool but wanted to take the next step up in resolution and picture quality.

The LG panel referred to above is said to be a competitor to the acclaimed Asus ROG PG279Q 27". You should consider it.

I was watching through the Black sales and never saw anything that was too tempting. Until I saw an open box Asus ROG PG279Q for $458 shipped. Couldn't say no to that and if it has dead pixels will send it back and look at the LG.

Good luck in your search!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you lack that much experience, head to the nearest retail location that has various monitors on display.

IPS vs TN is a stark difference in color expression. Most LCD TVs are IPS or PLS as well (for the viewing angles), so it would look more like that, though with much better response times. VA is starting to make its way into TVs though.

TN has faster response times, less ghosting, etc. PG278Q was the original high refresh display that didn't come in a kit form. The PQ278QR is just an updated model that uses a slightly newer AU Optronics panel and the second gen G-sync module that has an additional HDMI port.

PG279Q is risky, particularly an open box. Even mine has discoloration in the corners (aka backlight bleed) It is a fine panel, and it does the job, but if you want perfection, no guarantee. Acer uses the same panels (They were first to high refresh IPS market with the XB270HU), but they seem to do better at quality control (at least now, lots of complaints of fingerprints and debris under the anti-glare in the early days). And who knows how old that PG279Q is, could be perfectly fine once they got all the kinks out. Problem with looking into it is that all the comments and reviews you'll find is from the launch.

Reactions: GarrettL

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I just bought this on Amazon:

ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27" Gaming Monitor 1440p 1ms 165Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC Eye Care

It was $514.82 but Amazon had a $27.13 coupon which brought it down to $487.69. With tax it's $521.83, and I get 5% cash back from Amazon right now with my Discover card so ultimately it'll be $495.74.

I figured I've been using a TN panel this entire time so I rather save the money and go TN again over IPS.

With the 165 Hz overclocked refresh rate is that a setting you have to turn on on the monitor or is it by default?

I just bought this on Amazon:

ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27" Gaming Monitor 1440p 1ms 165Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC Eye Care

It was $514.82 but Amazon had a $27.13 coupon which brought it down to $487.69. With tax it's $521.83, and I get 5% cash back from Amazon right now with my Discover card so ultimately it'll be $495.74.

I figured I've been using a TN panel this entire time so I rather save the money and go TN again over IPS.

With the 165 Hz overclocked refresh rate is that a setting you have to turn on on the monitor or is it by default?

Cool, let us know what you think when you get it.

You may or may not have to go into Nvidia Control Panel and verify it is turned on.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The GPU will probably hit its throttle point, but that is fine. I haven't run into a card yet that won't stay at or above boost clock.

It is a 144hz panel by default, 165hz is an overclocked mode that you have to select on the monitor. No one really recommends using it. Ghosting and overshoot issues come back into it. Believe me, telling the difference between 144hz and 165hz is very difficult.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I only have two exhaust fans.. one at the back, one on the top, and of course a giant cooler on my i5-9600K (Shadowrock TF2 aftermarket cooler), and the GPU (EVGA RTX 2070) has two fans.

I could not get my two front intake fans on. The case is a NZXT and they mount onto a bracket panel on the outside of the case then you have to remount it inside the case. I cannot get the cable out that plugs into the mobo that hooks up the case buttons so they work (the big cable into mobo).... I don't want to pry at it to get these fans in... I may have to. I tried when I built the PC and did not succeed.