[SOLVED] help choosing a 4K GPU; don't game, 4K monitor

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I'm not sure what 4K GPU to get to support a 4K monitor. I don't do gaming, so I figure a mid-range GPU would be fine.

The GPU buyers guides I google are all aimed at gamers.

Solution
Don't go to Ebay. The chances of a very unhappy ending are WAY too high. Plus, most any reputable seller of new hardware there is already selling on Amazon for less in most cases.

Buy your hardware through a reputable retailer. I can't express enough how important it is to have full warranty coverage for all hardware because these days hardware failures are all too real, and common. Just my 2cents on that because I see all the sad people here and in my shop, that didn't do that.

For what you want to do, this would probably be a very good choice. Passive fanless, so no extra noise to affect sound or audio recordings, etc. This will have no trouble with playback of 4k video or multiple monitors. The only issue might be if you need...
If you don't game, then most any modern graphics card or even integrated graphics for that matter, are 100% capable enough for watching 4k video. Expensive cards are only necessary for gaming or for professional 3D, graphics and CAD applications.

As the COL asked though, knowing your system specifications would be helpful to know whether what you have already is suitable or if a discreet card, even an entry level one, would be more appropriate. Or if you even have integrated graphics for that matter.

Reactions: coyote2

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I apologize for not being more specific than "no gaming".

I think the most challenging task (I can say now that I've read a bit more) I'll be calling upon the card for is playback of UHD videos (perhaps using VLC). (I may possibly do a little video editing, but rarely; my gig is audio editing.)

I will not have integrated graphics.

Here's some other hardware I'm planning on: 3950x CPU, 128GB 3000Mhz RAM, Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming X mobo.

I actually today finally manage to google a page that suggests a GTX 1050 or above; I'm dropping so much $$$ on the rest of the system I might try to score a deal on eBay and hope it wasn't abused. I'll be happy with something < $300.

Don't go to Ebay. The chances of a very unhappy ending are WAY too high. Plus, most any reputable seller of new hardware there is already selling on Amazon for less in most cases.

Buy your hardware through a reputable retailer. I can't express enough how important it is to have full warranty coverage for all hardware because these days hardware failures are all too real, and common. Just my 2cents on that because I see all the sad people here and in my shop, that didn't do that.

For what you want to do, this would probably be a very good choice. Passive fanless, so no extra noise to affect sound or audio recordings, etc. This will have no trouble with playback of 4k video or multiple monitors. The only issue might be if you need multiple HDMI or DVI outputs, or if you need Displayport or VGA, as it lacks those. Knowing what inputs your monitor or monitors have might be essential but until then this is a decent choice that definitely doesn't break the bank and is far more capable than most any integrated video.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HRD3CY/?tag=pcpapi-20

As for your motherboard, you might also want to make sure that the board you get is one with excellent shielding and audio isolation, because not all of them have that. Even though I'm quite sure you are using an isolated and separate professional sound card, there are STILL audio artifacts and potential ground loops or hums possible even on a disabled onboard audio circuit that is unshielded and is not isolated. Many modern boards do have it, but not all, so I'd check. Can't hurt to have that even if you have no intention of using the onboard sound. I'm sure you're already aware, but I always like to mention it because you never know what somebody does or doesn't know.

Solution

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Thank you very much Darkbreeze for the wealth of great advice!
(It's remarkably difficult to find articles about GPUs for non-gamers.)

I was tempted to gamble on a used GPU on eBay, but you're right I don't want to do that.

I think the card you suggest sounds perfect; I appreciate your thinking of quietness for my audio work!

And I'd forgotten to think about the board, I absolutely will make it a priority to look into it's shielding and audio isolation.