Help choosing a laptop for work

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebeeb

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hi I would like to buy a new computer for work. I need something reliable and fast with Windows. My budget is 700 to 1000 euros. I am looking at two HP computers on sale at the moment: a ProBook http://store.hp.com/FranceStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Y8A75ET&opt=ABF&mastersku=Y8A75ET&masteropt=ABF&sel=NTB& - there is a big reduction on the ProBook, and I am wondering why, is it an old model? and a Pavillon http://store.hp.com/FranceStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1NB32EA&opt=ABF&sel=NTB. Which one do you think is better?

Solution
Both laptops have current 7th generation Intel Core i7-7500u CPUs. The ProBook is a business laptop and has Windows 10 Pro while the Pavilion is simply a consumer oriented laptop and has Windows 10. Business customer service is generally better than consumer customer service, but that is relative. Both should be fine for doing work.

The Pavilion is better overall since it has a 128GB SSD in addition to the hard drive. Programs installed on the SSD will launch a lot faster. Windows 10 typically takes around 15 to boot up from a SSD compared to around 45 to 60 seconds if Windows 10 is installed on a hard drive. If you play games, the Pavilion is better because it has a nVidia 940mx while the ProBook has a 930mx. Both are considered...
Both laptops have current 7th generation Intel Core i7-7500u CPUs. The ProBook is a business laptop and has Windows 10 Pro while the Pavilion is simply a consumer oriented laptop and has Windows 10. Business customer service is generally better than consumer customer service, but that is relative. Both should be fine for doing work.

The Pavilion is better overall since it has a 128GB SSD in addition to the hard drive. Programs installed on the SSD will launch a lot faster. Windows 10 typically takes around 15 to boot up from a SSD compared to around 45 to 60 seconds if Windows 10 is installed on a hard drive. If you play games, the Pavilion is better because it has a nVidia 940mx while the ProBook has a 930mx. Both are considered "mainstream" GPUs. They are definitely better than the integrated Intel HD 620, but they are weak compared to a "gaming" GPU; typically a GTX 1050 or better.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.