[SOLVED] Help choosing a monitor

Nov 25, 2020
I have a 1650 super gpu and no idea what monitor to get. From what I checked gather I don't want to go over 24inch? And anything over 1080p would be a waste? Not sure but ideally nothing over £200 If possible

Solution
Okay but taking everything you said ok board and upped my budget to accommodate. The three I've found are:

BenQ EX2780Q

ViewSonic VX2758

lg 27gl850-b

All around the £330 mark. There's a few differences and one that I'm unsure of how important is the 1m - 5m response time differnce?
This means the time it takes to change from one colour to another, so lower is better but i don't think the 4ms difference will be noticable

My preference would be the viewsonic / LG/ benq in that order, but be sure to check reviews
Ideally, you'd want to go test/look at them in real life as i suspect there wont be too much difference between them on paper
Hello and welcome

Things you should consider:

with your current gpu it would be counterproductive to game at resolutions higher then 1080 as you will have to dail down graphical options to have it run say 2K (2,048 x 1,080 )

BUT, if you upgrade your gpu down the line this will become possible as even entry lvl (current gen) gpu's are capable of better resolutions
It would be rather stupid to upgrade your monitor again when you go for a new gpu

So, do buy a monitor that has atleast 2K resolution

next we need to know what types of games you play e.g. e-sport games, rpg's etc

this will determine what kind op panel (ips/va/tn) will best suit your needs and if you would benefit from higher mhz (e.g. 144hz)

also not going above 24inch will help keep the price down

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020
Hey thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ah okay, good point! The gpu is relatively new but yeah, obviously will upgrade at somepoint. At the moment I'm upgrading ram and cpu to ryzen 3300x so nor expecting too much from it.

The games I play at the mo aren't too demanding, but a couple of esports games like rocket league but also some AAA although occasionall. The reason I'm upgrading is I'd like to play cyberpunk but I only game a couple times a week so can't justify too heavy an upgrade.

With the new motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd I'm already looking at near £300 so too much more and next gen consoles start looking appealing lol

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ah okay, good point! The gpu is relatively new but yeah, obviously will upgrade at somepoint. At the moment I'm upgrading ram and cpu to ryzen 3300x so nor expecting too much from it.

The games I play at the mo aren't too demanding, but a couple of esports games like rocket league but also some AAA although occasionall. The reason I'm upgrading is I'd like to play cyberpunk but I only game a couple times a week so can't justify too heavy an upgrade.

With the new motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd I'm already looking at near £300 so too much more and next gen consoles start looking appealing lol
In that case i would go for an IPS panel
IPS gives you the best in image quality but is the slowest in terms of smoothness, but you will only notice a diffrence in games like CSGO for example
(VA being the middle ground and TN being the fastest but offers the "worst" image quality)

For games like rocket league i would recommend going further then 60hz

In all, when shopping for a screen i would suggest:
IPS panel (VA will do if needed)
try atleast getting 100mhz (you will definitely appreciate the added smoothness in fast games)
look for 2K res (4K is still expensive and 1080 would be a waste at this point)

Given your price point stick to 24inch (i wouldn't go lower personally, but up to you)

That being said, you'll probably need a bit more budget for your monitor, as i know the UK pc market is overpriced AF

Good luck my dude

If you have more questions, do fire away

Nov 25, 2020
IPS gives you the best in image quality but is the slowest in terms of smoothness, but you will only notice a diffrence in games like CSGO for example
(VA being the middle ground and TN being the fastest but offers the "worst" image quality)

try atleast getting 100mhz (you will definitely appreciate the added smoothness in fast games)

Given your price point stick to 24inch (i wouldn't go lower personally, but up to you)

That being said, you'll probably need a bit more budget for your monitor, as i know the UK pc market is overpriced AF

Good luck my dude

This is great stuff! Had no idea of what I was looking for so this info is gold! I'll have a look around on the weekend to see what I can find and if i have anymore questions I post them on here if that's cool.

Cheers, it's very much appreciated.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Nov 25, 2020

Good luck my dude

Okay but taking everything you said ok board and upped my budget to accommodate. The three I've found are:

BenQ EX2780Q

ViewSonic VX2758

lg 27gl850-b

All around the £330 mark. There's a few differences and one that I'm unsure of how important is the 1m - 5m response time differnce?

BenQ EX2780Q

ViewSonic VX2758

lg 27gl850-b

This means the time it takes to change from one colour to another, so lower is better but i don't think the 4ms difference will be noticable

My preference would be the viewsonic / LG/ benq in that order, but be sure to check reviews
Ideally, you'd want to go test/look at them in real life as i suspect there wont be too much difference between them on paper

Last edited:
Solution