Question Help choosing a motherboard.

Aug 21, 2019
I came here 10 years ago seeking help building my first PC. Due to the fine help I received here it is still chugging along but I think the time has come to build again...

As with my last build, I am looking for high quality, reliable, long lasting parts, with decent future proofing.

I am asking for ATX (unless you talk me out of it) MOBO recommendations, but any recommendations are welcome as I am functionally a bit of an idiot, but I can learn. I think I want a b450 board.

I only play one game, World of Tanks and it is CPU dependent so I don't need perfect GPU, but I'll likely upgrade in future.

I like value, reliability, and quality over the highest performance. I'd rather not overclock. Quiet is good but way down the list. I couldn't care less about blingy things but I will take bling if it meets the other criteria.
MOBO ?
CPU Ryzen 5 2600x using stock spire cooler.
RAM ? 2X8 gb of 3200 (would love rec's)
SSD 1gb Intel 660p M.2
GPU Radeon RX570
PSU Corsair RM650x (I overpowered last time and it never failed...)
HDD Possibly, I don't understand why I would as I don't use a ton of storage.
I own a monitor that is freesync 144 hz ready
I have a DVD drive I plan to use.

I would like to be able to add SSD storage in future and upgrade the GPU at some point but no hurry.
Let me know what you recommend and please let me know if am going astray.
Is built in wifi a plus? I might need a firewire card at some point.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I can second DLOT's recommendation for the Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard.
I have had one with a Ryzen 5 2600 since November 2018 and it has worked perfectly for me.
I can also recommend the G.Skill RAM kit listed in my Signature.
If you do get the Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, I strongly recommend that you use BIOS 1201 because it is the best BIOS for this motherboard when using a 2000 series CPU.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech