Help choosing a ssd

Solution
The 850 Evo is not a PCIe/NVMe SSD. It's a regular old SATA3/AHCI SSD.

Samsung's 950 Pro, SM951, or PM951 are what you're looking for. They are all significantly faster than SATA SSDs (the slowest of the bunch is the PM951 with approx 2x the speed of SATA SSDs). It's really just how much money do you have to throw at it? $210?$290?$320?

Personally, I'm quite content with my SATA3 SSD. So an 850 EVO isn't really a bad option if you would rather spend the budget on other components like CPU or GPU. (The PNY CS1311 is a pretty good value SSD that performs about as well as the 850 EVO for a good bit cheaper).

apk24

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
The 850 Evo is not a PCIe/NVMe SSD. It's a regular old SATA3/AHCI SSD.

Samsung's 950 Pro, SM951, or PM951 are what you're looking for. They are all significantly faster than SATA SSDs (the slowest of the bunch is the PM951 with approx 2x the speed of SATA SSDs). It's really just how much money do you have to throw at it? $210?$290?$320?

Personally, I'm quite content with my SATA3 SSD. So an 850 EVO isn't really a bad option if you would rather spend the budget on other components like CPU or GPU. (The PNY CS1311 is a pretty good value SSD that performs about as well as the 850 EVO for a good bit cheaper).

Solution

TheKingHK

Honorable
May 5, 2012
A PCie SSD is fairly expensive. Also, why do you only want to have a single internal drive? I would recommend getting a smaller, cheaper SATA III SSD for your OS and a larger HDD for other files. If this is not agreeable, I agree with apk24' suggestion of deciding based on your budget as it is the limiting factor.

Keep me posted!

cmd line

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Well I already have an older 1TB HDD I could format if I wanted. I will probably be heading in the SATA SSD direction just so I can divert the money into other areas, like the mobo. Some unexpected expenses have come up that has delayed my build. That and I want to see about maybe waiting for the 1080ti, if they make one that is. Never know. Probably will go for the 850 evo, unless a better option arises before I order the parts. Thanks all.