Question Help choosing a TV for someone who hasn't owned one since 2004

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I just have no idea about TV's or what might be important to be looking for. It will be pretty much just used for movies and streaming with maybe some multiplayer type fighting games or something. So I would like a "game mode" which seems pretty standard now. I have a nice monitor I use for most games.
I also don't want to spend too much so I have kind of narrowed it down to these three:

Samsung UN43RU7100FXZA Flat 43-Inch 4K UHD 7 Series
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NC8X2Z6/?coliid=IBYJINVSQBNJ6&colid=HK1TOHERRK2Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
TCL 43S425 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart Roku LED TV (2018)
LG 43UM7300PUA Alexa Built-in 43" 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2019)

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
How far will you be seating from the TV?
I would go with the TLC because of the Roku experience.
Samsung interface is a bit slow.
LG has very good picture but it is lacking on the interface and apps variety.

Thanks for the reply, I will be sitting about 6-8 feet away, I am not really interested in any tv service, as I have hulu, netflix, amazon prime, & hbo, and can play dvd's through my computer. So it will kind of be like a secondary monitor for specific uses. I migfht buy a ps5 next fall too so I would be using the tv with that.

Ferimer

Distinguished
If you truly want the experience of a great 4k picture go with LG but try and find one without Alexa and find a 50 to 55 inch because that's when it truly is UHD. Samsungs have stutter step issues and known magenta circles after a few years with 4k screens and TCL is a great brand up and coming as well. I would try and find something larger for 4k and either TCL or LG

Why is that? I am planning on just starting a movie/show from my desktop then just plopping on the couch.

Considering how cheap a lot of good 55" models are, picking a smaller TV will just make you wish you bought a larger one within weeks, and the experience when sitting at normal TV distance is a lot nicer with a larger set. I actually got a best buy credit card to take advantage of their no interest plans to buy electronic doohickies and doodads. 55" TV paid off in 6 months no interest is $25 a week or maybe even less. Assuming you are OK with credit that is. Cost of a eating a decent meal out for a TV.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Considering how cheap a lot of good 55" models are, picking a smaller TV will just make you wish you bought a larger one within weeks, and the experience when sitting at normal TV distance is a lot nicer with a larger set. I actually got a best buy credit card to take advantage of their no interest plans to buy electronic doohickies and doodads. 55" TV paid off in 6 months no interest is $25 a week or maybe even less. Assuming you are OK with credit that is. Cost of a eating a decent meal out for a TV.

Yeah I am looking at the 50in Samsung Q60 now. Thats as big as I want for now. But do you know if a tv has a refresh rate listed as 120hz, does that mean the same thing as it does with a computer monitor? I intend to hook it up to my gaming pc for streaming movies and gaming.

Yeah I am looking at the 50in Samsung Q60 now. Thats as big as I want for now. But do you know if a tv has a refresh rate listed as 120hz, does that mean the same thing as it does with a computer monitor? I intend to hook it up to my gaming pc for streaming movies and gaming.

No, many TVs have a fake refresh rating, meaning it will do some fakery to make the motion seem smoother like it's 120 but is actually 60. It's a bit like all those "5.1" headphones that just use software to expand the sound stage.

If you want a real 120 hz TV you need to make sure the specs say that not mention things like trumotion or some other technology. Usually if you see a TV listed as 240hz it's probably running at 120 for real so get one of those.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
No, many TVs have a fake refresh rating, meaning it will do some fakery to make the motion seem smoother like it's 120 but is actually 60. It's a bit like all those "5.1" headphones that just use software to expand the sound stage.

If you want a real 120 hz TV you need to make sure the specs say that not mention things like trumotion or some other technology. Usually if you see a TV listed as 240hz it's probably running at 120 for real so get one of those.

So I am looking at the Samsung Q60 55inch now, thanks to your mention of this "trumotion", The 55 has the 240 trumotion so is a "native" 120hz. But reading this in depth review I am getting more and more confused! It seems it can only run 120hz in 1080p and 1440p which will likely look terrible on a 55" 4k screen right?
It also only has hdmi 2.0 which I gather cannot run 4k content above 60hz...
So the real deal breaker for me here is whether or not it can run 4k 120hz while I use it as a monitor for music programs/ web browsing.
Here is what the article says:

Input Performance for Gaming and PC:

When it comes to gaming functionality and responsiveness for both PC and console devices, the Samsung Q60 QLED is downright superb. This is this particular 4K HDR TV’s single greatest strength in terms of both visual performance and in how well it responds to playback of games from consoles or PCs at all sorts of different refresh rates, frame rates, color settings, resolutions and combinations of all of these. Additionally, the Q60R, like all of Samsung’s 2018 and 2019 QLED TVs, comes with FreeSync variable refresh rate synchronization technology, allowing it to smoothly mesh the onscreen refresh rate with that being outputted by the GPU inside a gaming platform that the TV is connected to. The input lag for console or PC gaming on this TV across several resolution, HDR, color and frame rate combinations is downright excellent, as the numbers below clearly show:

Here are some of the key specific specs for its gaming performance in different console setups:

• 4k @ 60Hz: 14.4 ms
  • 1080p @ 60Hz: 14.9 ms
  • 1080p @ 120Hz: 8.3 ms
  • 4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 14.2 ms
  • 1080p @ 60Hz + HDR: 4.1 ms
  • 4k @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 62 ms
  • 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 14.1 ms
  • 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 14.4 ms
  • 1440p @ 120Hz: 9.5 ms
  • 4K with interpolation activated: 35.4 ms
Connectivity

The Samsung Q60 comes with all of its connectivity ports built into the back left of the TV inside a recessed panel. Unlike some other Samsung QLED TV models or the company’s 2019 8K TV, the Q60 QLED does not come with an external One Connect box. That said, it’s capable management is pretty well designed and easy to set up even though this TV doesn’t have a smoothly flat back panel for the specialized flushed mounting to walls that Samsung’s design allows for certain higher-end QLED TVs.

Like virtually all newer 4K HDR TVs, the Q60 QLED comes with today’s now standardized and essential advanced connectivity specs. Thus, this 2018 model comes equipped with four HDMI 2.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 USB ports and other crucial connectivity slots. Samsung has also given the Q60 full HDMI 2.0 HDR supported bandwidth in all four HDMI ports. On the other hand, unlike Samsung’s Q900 8K QLED and possibly other pricier 2019 4K QLED TVs, the Q60R does not have one of those new HDMI 2.1 ports that would allow for 4K gaming or content playback at a true native 120Hz. This is a shame but for virtually all sources of 4K UHD content, it’s perfectly fine. Additionally, and also disappointingly, the Q60R does not have any USB 3.0 ports and unlike certain pricier QLED TVs it comes with only 2 USB ports that both come with USB 2.0.

Link to the article:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I may have missed something along the posts, but would mention....with your specific desire to have 4K 120hz you will find that among large screen monitors but am not aware of an actual TV that will display that high. As a side note, anything with significant graphical 'qualities' will require BEAST computer components to achieve.

So far as I am aware, and outside new developments and/or absurd pricing TV refresh rates above 60 will likely only be available at 1080 and MAYBE 1440.